[SOLVED] Disk Drive no longer appearing on system ?

Yeldur

Reputable
Jan 28, 2017
Hi all,

I'm mostly looking to validate and see whether my disk is dead as a dodo..

I was playing a video game for a couple of hours and after closing out I noticed that one of my Disk Drives was missing! Thankfully, it's not my more important disk drives which house my video games and/or important documentation, however it does have a fair bit of stuff that I'd prefer not be gone... That bein said, I knew the drive was going to fail EVENTUALLY and it's been in the system for quite a while.

I've had a browse through event logs and have managed to find a bunch of logs from 10pm reporting the following:

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 during a paging operation.
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 during a paging operation.
The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId: D:, DeviceName: \Device\HarddiskVolume2.
(A device which does not exist was specified.)
The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId: D:, DeviceName: \Device\HarddiskVolume2.

It continues on like that for a little while until finally we see:

Disk 1 has been surprise removed.

Event ID's:

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 during a paging operation. = Event ID 51

= Event ID 140

{Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file D:\$Mft::$BITMAP. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere. = Event ID 50

Disk 1 has been surprise removed. = Event ID 157

So far I have checked and confirmed:

• The disk no longer appears in Device Manager
  • I cannot see the disk in the BIOS
  • I cannot run a CHKDSK to the disk
Which has lead me to the conclusion that the disk is most likely dead. For now, I have disconnected the cables from it to prevent it from being powered and plan to remove it to see if I can recover data, however I wanted to confirm and see whether others agree with my conclusion that the disk has died.

One thing I didn't see anywhere in event logs are:

Bad block events

I remember a disk failing previously and that being one of the things appearing frequently within the event logs, I had a look and could not find any bad block event ID's within the logs.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Yeldur

Reputable
Jan 28, 2017
Sometimes you can connect Via USB and retrieve data that hasen't been corrupted. Worth a try as cheap as $11 for the hardware.
Good luck!!!
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=drive+external+enclosure
Yep, I've still not taken it out of the rig yet to have a look. I suppose I'm just putting off the inevitable hahaha, going to have to take it out and look at some stage.

Fingers crossed it's maybe just a dodgy connection or something. Though, something tells me my luck isn't that good!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS