disk drive wont recognize dvd

celineamaris

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
Im trying to watch a dvd on my asus laptop but the disk drive is not acknowledging the disk at all. After trying my own laptop I thought I'd borrow my moms which is the exact same as mine. The same problem occurred and I have no idea why! :/ help please!!

Solution
It sounds like you might have two laptops both with bad optical drives. Can the drives in those laptops read any DVDs at all? If not, then the drives are bad and need to be replaced, but if the laptops are old it might not be worth it. I once replaced a DVD drive on a laptop I acquired in 2006, it was $94 just for the drive and I had to swap it myself. You can get an external USB DVD drive for about $30.

celineamaris

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014

The dvd works in all other devices in the house just not either of the twin laptops. Also, ive tried multiple other disks and they were not read either.

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
It sounds like you might have two laptops both with bad optical drives. Can the drives in those laptops read any DVDs at all? If not, then the drives are bad and need to be replaced, but if the laptops are old it might not be worth it. I once replaced a DVD drive on a laptop I acquired in 2006, it was $94 just for the drive and I had to swap it myself. You can get an external USB DVD drive for about $30.

Solution