Question Disk Enclosure Power Start

Nov 8, 2022
I am using several enclosures with external 12V power sources (I realised after several years that the ones with integrated 12V source are less reliable - overheat and the interface electronics or even the disk fails). The enclosures have all a "start" button - that needs to be pushed after a power down/power up. Some of my disks are connected to a home machine/home server that I use sometime remotely. When I am away and there is a power failure the home server restarts but the disks in those enclosures do not restart. Does somebody have a workaround (except getting an UPS)?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Does somebody have a workaround (except getting an UPS)?
If you don't have one(an UPS), then that's your first problem to solve, considering that drive failures and/or data loss can be attributed to power failures or improper shutdowns/dismounting of hard drives.

Make and model(s) of the disk enclosures...?

Nov 8, 2022
Which exact models of enclosures are you using?

Most likely you will have to replace the enclosures which have a start button with ones using a mechanical switch to power up like:
https://www.inateck.com/products/3-5-hard-drive-enclosure-aluminum-usb-3-0-sata-hdd-enclosure-fe3001
I like more the ones with USB 3.1 or 3.2 ( a bit of speed improvement) - and I think I will add a second USP or increase the existing one - I have them because frequent power failures have damaged disks - but now the power failure are far less frequent in my village.