Question Disk errors // I cannot access my C:\ drive after transferring files.

Jun 8, 2019
Hi, I don't really know where to begin as I have not experienced something like this before, but I'll evaluate my best. Earlier on today, I was attempting reorganizing my file structure and disk drives on a whole. And as well, I had a "read-only state" error on my SD card, so I was sorting this marginal error out too. In the process of managing and compiling my files, I impulsively decided to transfer most of my User Files, like Desktop, Documents, Photos, Videos, etc, to my Local Disk (HDD) (D:). Which were initially located on my Local Disk (SSD) (C:). My intentions for the transfer were to free up space on my SSD. I navigated over to "My PC"; right clicked "Desktop" and went into the properties of it. When in the properties, I navigated over to "Location" and shifted the former location (I cannot remember where, specifically, the former location of "Desktop" was.) to, supposedly, the C:\" drive? After clicking "Apply", multiple files appeared on my desktop; these files obtain all the files in the "C:\" drive...
I don't know what else to add, as I have scarcely to no clue what I have achieved... I have linked multiple screenshots of the foolish errors I have inevitably encountered.
Sorry for the lack of information...
Can't redirect a parent into a child: View: https://imgur.com/XTWcnGQ

C:\ Properties; Location: View: https://imgur.com/Nzlbi18

Files transferred to my desktop: View: https://imgur.com/Jz78IWm

C:\ Drive transferred to My PC // Desktop: View: https://imgur.com/GWZYK3p

C:\ File unavailable: View: https://imgur.com/FPg6TbD

Jun 8, 2019
You moved all C:\ drive folders from their default location to another location, which you should never do.

Have you tried placing these folders back to the drive C:\ where they were previously?

Yeah, I tried to reset the file location to its default location, but when I do, it’s brings up a new error saying “you cannot redirect a parent into a child”... what should I do, and thank you for the response!

USAFRet

Titan
With Win 10, for a redirection like that, it must be redirected into a folder. Not the root of the drive.

And you should NOT try to redirect the Desktop.
Other libraries like Photo, Doc, Music, video...yes.

Lacking a full drive backup you made before doing this, you're likely looking at a full wipe and reinstall.

Jun 8, 2019
With Win 10, for a redirection like that, it must be redirected into a folder. Not the root of the drive.

And you should NOT try to redirect the Desktop.
Other libraries like Photo, Doc, Music, video...yes.

Lacking a full drive backup you made before doing this, you're likely looking at a full wipe and reinstall.
Okay, so you’re saying a windows reinstall from usb through media tool?

Jun 8, 2019
Try moving the folders manually.
Try moving one first and see what happens.

Hi, I’m sorry for the inconvenience, but where do I relocate these files?

And I tried restarting windows, but an error popped up and no changes were made... if I were to completely reinstall windows, how would I do it? I have a usb with the media installer on, but how do I reinstall windows completely on a computer that already has windows on it?

USAFRet

Titan

And I tried restarting windows, but an error popped up and no changes were made... if I were to completely reinstall windows, how would I do it? I have a usb with the media installer on, but how do I reinstall windows completely on a computer that already has windows on it?

Boot from your install media and carry on.
Section II, Step 6 & 7 speak to wiping the whole drive and starting fresh.

For future reference, here's how to relocate those folders:
Win 7 & 8:

Win 8.1 & 10:

You could place them back on their original location
You could use another PC for reference.

You could reinstall Windows even if the PC has Windows installed already.
Create the installation media, boot from the USB.
On the "Windows Setup," click Next to start the installation.
Click the Install Now button, then click the "
I don't have a product key" to continue.
Select the same edition of Windows 10 that it installed on your PC.
I accept the license terms and click next continue.
Click on the
Custom: Install Windows only (Advanced) option.
Select the partition with the installation of Windows (usually "Drive 0"), and click the Delete button to remove it from the hard drive.
There will be multiple partitions, on the primary hard drive (Drive 0), you can select and delete each one of them.
You should be left with
Drive 0 Unallocated Space, select it and click next to install Windows 10 on your PC.

Back up any data you want to keep from the drive you are installing Windows.
I would disconnect any other disk you may have connected to the PC to avoid installing Windows in the wrong place. You could plug them back after installing Windows.

Jun 8, 2019

Click on the
Select the partition with the installation of Windows (usually "Drive 0"), and click the Delete button to remove it from the hard drive.
There will be multiple partitions, on the primary hard drive (Drive 0), you can select and delete each one of them.
You should be left with
Drive 0 Unallocated Space, select it and click next to install Windows 10 on your PC.

I would disconnect any other disk you may have connected to the PC to avoid installing Windows in the wrong place. You could plug them back after installing Windows.
Hi, thank you for the help, it means a lot! I followed all of your steps and by the end, it was a successful restoration. Unfortunately, in the process, there were more convoluted steps then expected... I had to enter my bios and change the priority boot drive to my USB. And as well, I entered a boot loop... but after a while, I sorted it out. I’ve got a new, reinstalled windows, and everything seems to be working well. Just one thing is there a way to check if everything is working the way it should be? I had to enter the bios and tweak a couple of things I lacked knowledge of... So if there is a way for, that may help me in the long run, that would be awesome! I'm sending this message to two users!

Jun 8, 2019

Click on the
You should be left with

Click on the
You should be left with

Hi, thank you for the help, it means a lot! I followed all of your steps and by the end, it was a successful restoration. Unfortunately, in the process, there were more convoluted steps then expected... I had to enter my bios and change the priority boot drive to my USB. And as well, I entered a boot loop... but after a while, I sorted it out. I’ve got a new, reinstalled windows, and everything seems to be working well. Just one thing is there a way to check if everything is working the way it should be? I had to enter the bios and tweak a couple of things I lacked knowledge of... So if there is a way for, that may help me in the long run, that would be awesome! I'm sending this message to two users!