[SOLVED] Disk fails to boot initially, but boots fine from bios?

Saint Grimm

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
Hello all, me again...

I've finally got the PC built and in general, seems to be running okay.

However, on restart or start up, I get a black screen with white letters saying smart something failed.

74833422_1056702171336900_8893215401140289536_n.jpg

-System Specs-
Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING x570
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: Windsong Geforce GTX 1660 ti
PSU: Seasonic Focus GTX-750W 80+ Gold
Sata1: Seagate 2tb 7200rpm HDD (System)
Sata2: Seagate 1.5tb 7200rpm HDD (Storage)
Sata3: HP DVD Drive
Sata4: Case Hotswap port

Hitting F1 takes me to the bios. Only 1 disk is available for booting on the right side, when I click boot menu then choose the disk, it continues to windows without an issue.

Originally I thought this was caused by having the disks in the wrong ports. My DVD drive was in Sata1 and my HDD with windows was in sata4. I switched them all around so that my windows disk is sata1, but it still says it's failed to boot.

I took this HDD out of my old PC where it was working fine, Deleted all partitions and formatted with windows install from USB stick. Did a fresh install of Windows 10. After the PC did a restart after installing Windows 10 was the first time it failed to boot. This isn't life-ending, but It'd be pretty lame to have to boot into bios and then boot disk every time the PC restarts.

It's clearly trying to boot from the wrong drive. It's predicted to boot from the 1.5tb storage drive instead of the 2tb system drive. In the bios, the 1500 isn't even an option to boot from and the 2tb is set at the top of the boot order (and is the ONLY item in the list of boot order).

I'm going to bed now but I'll check back here first thing. Thanks in advance to any advice given :)

Last edited:
Solution
Yep, that drive needs replacing due to failed sectors> Reallocated are one that had data recovered and moved to spare sectors on the disk and the 'offline uncorrectable' ones are one where data couldn't be recovered & moved.
Your PC isn't trying to boot from the wrong drive, it's merely halting the boot process to warn you that SMART has been triggered on one of the HDDs and imminent failure is very likely.

The HDD that's about to fail is the storage drive connected to SATA60_2 (it clearly shows that in the SMART error).

Back it up immediately, then replace it.

Saint Grimm

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
This one is failing. Check with HDtune health first. Then replace the drive.

They both worked fine in the old PC, I'm not denying it's failing, the 1.5 is much older, it came out of the pc i built BEFORE my last one, last one was 5 years ago, that drives 7+ years old.

But why is my PC refusing to boot? Can I turn the warning off or should I just take it out completely?

Saint Grimm

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
Your PC isn't trying to boot from the wrong drive, it's merely halting the boot process to warn you that SMART has been triggered on one of the HDDs and imminent failure is very likely.

The HDD that's about to fail is the storage drive connected to SATA60_2 (it clearly shows that in the SMART error).

Back it up immediately, then replace it.

There's nothing really important on it, but it was working fine in the older pc. Could it be a false positive or more likely that my old pc didn't have smart scans? Is there a way to make it boot without error message without removing the drive?

Saint Grimm

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
Can you show screenshot from Hdtune health?

It's just giving you warning, that drive may fail soon. If you value your data on this drive, then backup and replace the drive.

I cannot right now, give me a few hours, I'm helping my brother put his pc together atm and mines not plugged in and doesnt have mouse/keyboard. After we finish his and get windows installed, I'll do report back with screenshot.

The data on it currently is worthless. Just backups that I can remake. Still have all the original files to re-backup. I'd like to save it, but I can get another 2tb for 60 bucks, so it's not a huge deal, I'll get that screenshot for you guys though, but honestly I'm more worried about having to wait for the error and then boot into bios then boot into windows every time the pc boots up. There's no way to turn that error off and just boot straight to windows when I turn the pc on? If not I'll just unplug it after I get the screenshots, lots of restarting getting everything updated.

Saint Grimm

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
Sorry about the wait, hope you come bk to see my reply haha. I was really tired last night, I didn't read the entire screen about it failing, just knew I'd never seen a screen like that when booting and assumed it was an issue booting.

Thanks again for the replies I've got so far (and for the ones I'll get if I get any lol) I'd probably hopelessly fail at technology without this forum haha.

Here are the screenshots of HDTune, 2 things failed but I don't really know what it means... Is it fixable? Or is that drive just finished?

hdtune1.png

hdtune2.png

popatim

Titan
Yep, that drive needs replacing due to failed sectors> Reallocated are one that had data recovered and moved to spare sectors on the disk and the 'offline uncorrectable' ones are one where data couldn't be recovered & moved.

Solution

Saint Grimm

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
So no recovery? Oh well, at least I know now.

Thank you very much. I wish I could choose multiple answers. without being told to use HDtune, I never would have made it this far... But since I can only choose one, I'll choose the one say it's a goner lolll.

Either way, thankful to all the replies!!