BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
I am using Disk Keeper. I am also running XP Home with 512 ram /40 gig HD. Every other day it says that I am moderately fragmented. Is this possible to be this way every other day? Bruce

Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
what is diskkeepers definition of "moderately"? (or as Bill Clinton once said, it depends on what your definition of "is" is :wink: )

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
Disk keeper said I am moderately fraged with 65% of total volume space available for defrag. 299 files fraged and 1344 excess file frags. Bruce

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Are your directories consolidated?

In other words, have you done a Boot Time Defragmentation Run on the partition, or are you just running Diskeeper from the GUI every other day?

Which version of Diskeeper?

Toejam31

<font color=red>First Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=17935" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Devastating Dalek Destroyer</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Some push the envelope. Some just lick it. And some can't find the flap."</font color=purple>

eden

Champion
Like Toe said, do a Boot Time Defrag if you haven't yet. I could never get past the huge red fragged areas, and barely any improvement in defragging, until I did this. Once the directories were packed together, it did the entire job, and then I had nothing but a full dark blue area, and my system performance was much better.

--
Meow

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
I am running ver. 7.0 trial. On the boot time you have some boxes to check, they are Dir. Consolodation,Reduce paging file frags,defrag the MFT"?" ,pause after and Summary file. Should I have all thease boxes checked . I also gives you a stern warning before you do this to backup. Could this cause a problem. Bruce

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The check boxes you select in the program depends on the file system. Diskeeper will defrag the MFT and Paging File if you have NTFS, but this isn't applicable in FAT32. It won't cause any problems if you select these options, but it will take a certain amount of time to perform them, so I'd only suggest running these options at a time when the computer is going to be idle for a while, such as overnight, while you are sleeping.

If you have FAT32, just choose "Directory Consolidation" and "Run CHKDSK before defragmentation". Then reboot immediately. Afterwards, run do a normal defragmentation run from the GUI. This should improve the amount of actual fragmentation you have from day to day. I normally run a Boot Time Defragmentation about once a week, just to consolidate the directories, and CHKDSK to search for and repair any file system errors. It's just a good habit to get into, IMHO.

Toejam31

<font color=red>First Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=17935" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Devastating Dalek Destroyer</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Some push the envelope. Some just lick it. And some can't find the flap."</font color=purple>

TRENDING THREADS