[SOLVED] disk partition merging

Jul 20, 2021
Hi,
Currently my pc has four partitiond, C,D E F.
I wanted to extend my F partition, so I deleted D partition, and it showed as unallocated space, but after deleting D, only C drive is showing option to extend volume, while F drive is not.
Can anyone help me?

Solution
windows likes the space to be right next to the drive you want to extend. that's why it will let c extend but not f as it is on the other side of e.

you can still do it but will need to use a non windows partition manager. i like this one called disk part

https://www.diskpart.com/free-partition-manager.html

i have used it many times to do exactly what you want to do. it will take a long time as it has to move data around as it moves partitions so start it and walk away for a couple hours depending on how much data it has to move.

also note, YOU SHOULD BACK UP ANY AND ALL IMPORTANT DATA BEFORE STARTING THIS PROCESS!!! nothing is 100% foolproof and it is possible something can go wrong and data loss can happen. there will be no...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
windows likes the space to be right next to the drive you want to extend. that's why it will let c extend but not f as it is on the other side of e.

you can still do it but will need to use a non windows partition manager. i like this one called disk part

i have used it many times to do exactly what you want to do. it will take a long time as it has to move data around as it moves partitions so start it and walk away for a couple hours depending on how much data it has to move.

also note, YOU SHOULD BACK UP ANY AND ALL IMPORTANT DATA BEFORE STARTING THIS PROCESS!!! nothing is 100% foolproof and it is possible something can go wrong and data loss can happen. there will be no recovering any data if something goes wrong. so again BACK UP ANY AND ALL IMPORTANT DATA FROM EVERY PARTITION BEFORE STARTING THIS PROCESS.

Reactions: Johana Baker
Solution
Jul 20, 2021

also note, YOU SHOULD BACK UP ANY AND ALL IMPORTANT DATA BEFORE STARTING THIS PROCESS!!! nothing is 100% foolproof and it is possible something can go wrong and data loss can happen. there will be no recovering any data if something goes wrong. so again BACK UP ANY AND ALL IMPORTANT DATA FROM EVERY PARTITION BEFORE STARTING THIS PROCESS.
ok, but currently my d drive is empty, and only f has some data, so i guess software you suggested wpuld do it faster ?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
might speed it up some, but it is still not an instant process.

you should not have a d: drive anymore as you deleted it. it will move the current e: space to right after c: (you can change the letter for it later) and the move the f: data to next to that and then add the new free space to the end of f:.

this can take a while as a lot of data and space is moved around. so again start it and walk away. doing anything to the pc while it is working can stop/restart the process or even cause it to error and mess everything up.

be patient and it will finish when it finishes :)

Reactions: Johana Baker
Jul 20, 2021
might speed it up some, but it is still not an instant process.

you should not have a d: drive anymore as you deleted it. it will move the current e: space to right after c: (you can change the letter for it later) and the move the f: data to next to that and then add the new free space to the end of f:.

this can take a while as a lot of data and space is moved around. so again start it and walk away. doing anything to the pc while it is working can stop/restart the process or even cause it to error and mess everything up.

be patient and it will finish when it finishes :)
thanks, appreciate it, so that software will do this all stuff automatically right?

TRENDING THREADS