Disk Partitioning

My computer has the disk divided into 2 partitions from when I bought it.
This was done by the manufacturer Sony. So I have a 60GB disk partitioned into
14 GB for the C drive and the rest for the D drive
My son had just bought a computer but he has no partition on the disk.
He has a 40 GB disk.
We both use NTFS not FAT. on XP home
My question: Should my son partition his disk, especially as he has
installed a lot of games, or is it not really necessary?
If it is a good thing to do, what is the best tools to do this with without
having to format the disk again. I have googled about this but I get
conflicting information.
Thanks for the advice in advance

Hi,

Multiple partitions are a matter of personal choice. There is no particular
reason why one would have to do that. I usually set up systems with two
partitions, one for the operating system and programs, the other for data
storage. The reason for this is so that the system partition can easily be
formatted and reinstalled without losing the stored data, or necessitating
copying everything to CD first (you may not get that chance in some
situations). I know just as many people that are happy with one big
partition for everything, and there's nothing wrong with that.

If you want to repartition without damaging the existing system, you will
need to use a third-party program, here are several of them:

BootIT NG www.terabyteunlimited.com
Partition Magic www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic
Partition Commander http://www.v-com.com/product/pc_ind.html
Ranish Partition Manager http://www.ranish.com/part/

All are capable of doing what you ask. While these are all fairly safe to
use, partitioning work carries with it an element of danger, so backup
critical data before you begin just in case.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

wrote in news:2D2F89F4-BCD8-420D-A309-69974E269426@microsoft.com:
> My computer has the disk divided into 2 partitions from when I bought
> it. This was done by the manufacturer Sony. So I have a 60GB disk
> partitioned into 14 GB for the C drive and the rest for the D drive
> My son had just bought a computer but he has no partition on the disk.
> He has a 40 GB disk.
> We both use NTFS not FAT. on XP home
> My question: Should my son partition his disk, especially as he has
> installed a lot of games, or is it not really necessary?
> If it is a good thing to do, what is the best tools to do this with
> without having to format the disk again. I have googled about this
> but I get conflicting information.
> Thanks for the advice in advance

The reasons for partitioning have waned due to the operating systems
evolving to catch up with the ever increasing disk sizes. At one time,
you were forced to partition because the OS wouldn't handle really big
partitions. Today you don't need to partition but you might want to
anyway. Partitioning lets you separate the type of files you will put
into each. You could have one partition for the operating system and
programs, another for games, another for your data, and a separate
instance of other operating systems in other partitions (so you can
multiboot and pick which operating system you want to use at that time).

Personally, and because I am using only one operating system on my
current home computer, I like to have 2 partitions: one for the
operating system and applications, and another for my data. This way
when I have to eventually do repairs or even do a [fresh] install of the
operating system (and it WILL occur), I can do the OS repair or
reinstall and/or reinstall the applications without worrying about my
data. However, that does mean you need to move all your data over to
the other partition. You can move your My Documents folder easily
enough, but moving over your profile paths (for your account, the All
Users and Default accounts, and all other accounts), and changing
programs to store on the other partition, like for Outlook [Express],
will take time and some digging into. When you reinstall the operating
system or applications, you would then have to reconfigure them again to
point at your data over on the other partition.

Having separate partitions also lets you manage your backups. I save a
drive image of my OS & app partition and only occasionally do logical
backups of it. That's because it doesn't change much and many of the
updates are automatic so a reinstall would be quick from an old drive
image followed up automatic updates. I can then more often perform
backups on my data partition to ensure my backups are up to date but
without all the extraneous files intermixed with it from the OS & app
partition. However, you can also usually configure your backups to list
specific directories or files to include in a data-only backup but I
really don't want to bother traversing all my paths to separate out my
data from the OS and applications.

So it is really a personal choice how you want to slice up your OS,
applications, and data across multiple partitions or pile them
altogether within one partition. This only discusses the use of basic
drives in Windows. You can use dynamic drives to make one spanned
volume that spans across multiple drives, much like RAID span array,
where you can add more drives but they all become part of a single
spanned volume. That way you can add more drives and to increase the
storage capacity of a single drive letter but, as with software RAID, I
suspect you cannot include the OS partition, and reliability of the
spanned volume diminishes with each added drive in the same way it
diminishes with striping in RAID 0 (if one drive dies then the whole
stripe set or spanned volume dies, and the more drives you add the more
likely one will die). There is no fault tolerance in spanned volumes or
striped RAID 0 sets.

Thanx for the quick answers.
Very helpful.

"Vanguardx" wrote:

> [...]
> drives in Windows. You can use dynamic drives to make one spanned
> volume that spans across multiple drives, much like RAID span array,
> where you can add more drives but they all become part of a single
> spanned volume. That way you can add more drives and to increase the
> storage capacity of a single drive letter but, as with software RAID, I
> suspect you cannot include the OS partition, and reliability of the
> spanned volume diminishes with each added drive in the same way it
> diminishes with striping in RAID 0 (if one drive dies then the whole
> stripe set or spanned volume dies, and the more drives you add the more
> likely one will die). There is no fault tolerance in spanned volumes or
> striped RAID 0 sets.

> ******** Post replies to newsgroup - Share with others ********
> Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

alleng

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2004

I have a slightly different problem. My system came with the disk
partitioned into 2 - one for programs (labeled C) and the other data storage
(labeled D). I have added programs to C and the volume has decreased to under
1GB. I have shifted as many unnecessary things as possible to D. I want to
know if it is possible to increase the volume of C by essentially shifting
some of the extra volume from D to C using DISKPART/extend? What would be the
dangers/problems associated with this procedure or can it be done that way?
Thanks
Alleng

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Multiple partitions are a matter of personal choice. There is no particular
> reason why one would have to do that. I usually set up systems with two
> partitions, one for the operating system and programs, the other for data
> storage. The reason for this is so that the system partition can easily be
> formatted and reinstalled without losing the stored data, or necessitating
> copying everything to CD first (you may not get that chance in some
> situations). I know just as many people that are happy with one big
> partition for everything, and there's nothing wrong with that.
>
> If you want to repartition without damaging the existing system, you will
> need to use a third-party program, here are several of them:
>
> BootIT NG www.terabyteunlimited.com
> Partition Magic www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic
> Partition Commander http://www.v-com.com/product/pc_ind.html
> Ranish Partition Manager http://www.ranish.com/part/
>
> All are capable of doing what you ask. While these are all fairly safe to
> use, partitioning work carries with it an element of danger, so backup
> critical data before you begin just in case.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "TheBFG" <TheBFG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My computer has the disk divided into 2 partitions from when I bought it.
> > This was done by the manufacturer Sony. So I have a 60GB disk partitioned
> > into
> > 14 GB for the C drive and the rest for the D drive
> > My son had just bought a computer but he has no partition on the disk.
> > He has a 40 GB disk.
> > We both use NTFS not FAT. on XP home
> > My question: Should my son partition his disk, especially as he has
> > installed a lot of games, or is it not really necessary?
> > If it is a good thing to do, what is the best tools to do this with
> > without
> > having to format the disk again. I have googled about this but I get
> > conflicting information.
> > Thanks for the advice in advance

Hi Alleng,

You can only use the DISKPART/extend to increase the size of a particular
volume if there is unallocated (unpartitioned) space that is contiguous to
the volume that you want to resize. In addition, you cannot use that utility
to "resize" the boot or system partition, and I'm assuming that your C drive
(volume) is a system partition.

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Alleng" <Alleng@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> [...]
> > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >
> > "TheBFG" <TheBFG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > My computer has the disk divided into 2 partitions from when I bought
it.
> > > This was done by the manufacturer Sony. So I have a 60GB disk
partitioned
> > > into
> > > 14 GB for the C drive and the rest for the D drive
> > > My son had just bought a computer but he has no partition on the disk.
> > > He has a 40 GB disk.
> > > We both use NTFS not FAT. on XP home
> > > My question: Should my son partition his disk, especially as he has
> > > installed a lot of games, or is it not really necessary?
> > > If it is a good thing to do, what is the best tools to do this with
> > > without
> > > having to format the disk again. I have googled about this but I get

Thanks Patti.
Greatly appreciate it.

"Patti MacLeod" wrote:

> [...]
> > > situations). I know just as many people that are happy with one big
> > > partition for everything, and there's nothing wrong with that.
> > >
> > > If you want to repartition without damaging the existing system, you
> will
> > > need to use a third-party program, here are several of them:
> > >
> > > BootIT NG www.terabyteunlimited.com
> > > Partition Magic www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic
> > > Partition Commander http://www.v-com.com/product/pc_ind.html
> > > Ranish Partition Manager http://www.ranish.com/part/
> > >
> > > All are capable of doing what you ask. While these are all fairly safe
> > > use, partitioning work carries with it an element of danger, so backup
> > > critical data before you begin just in case.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Best of Luck,
> > >
> > > Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone

You're very welcome :)

Regards,