Peter_249

Honorable
May 29, 2017
My boot drive is a Samsung 960 EVO 256GB NVMe .

I have purchased a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe M.2 (2280).

I want to clone the 256GB drive to the new 1TB drive, but before I do so I want to make sure I am not cloning partitions that I do not need.

The current 256GB drive has the following partitions;

450MB Recovery Partition
99MB FAT32
16MB Unsupported
C:Boot NVMe 256GB (208GB NTFS)
585MB Recovery Partition
OP 25GB Unallocated

I would like the new drive (1TB 970 EVO Plus) to be as "clean" as possible.

As far as I know I do not have any software for managing partitions. Although I thought you could do that with Samsung Magician, but I cannot figure out how.

Can I remove any of the existing partitions?

Or, can I not select some of the partitions so they are not cloned? Which partitions are necessary? Once cloned, I want to use the 1TB 970 EVO Plus as my Boot drive.

I believe that when using the Samsung Data Migration software I can select which partitions I want to clone to the new drive?

Many thanks

Solution

I want to clone the 256GB drive to the new 1TB drive, but before I do so I want to make sure I am not cloning partitions that I do not need.

450MB Recovery Partition
99MB FAT32
16MB Unsupported
585MB Recovery Partition
OP 25GB Unallocated

As far as I know I do not have any software for managing partitions. Although I thought you could do that with Samsung Magician, but I cannot figure out how.

Or, can I not select...
I am reasonably sure that a typical "clone" will include all partitions.....

You could do that and worry about cleanup after you booted up from the new larger drive.

Or....

You could use imaging rather than cloning. Imaging allows you to select what specific partitions to include in the image file that is later restored to the new drive.

Either should work. I tend to use imaging.

450MB Recovery Partition
99MB FAT32
16MB Unsupported
585MB Recovery Partition
OP 25GB Unallocated

Or, can I not select some of the partitions so they are not cloned? Which partitions are necessary? Once cloned, I want to use the 1TB 970 EVO Plus as my Boot drive.

I believe that when using the Samsung Data Migration software I can select which partitions I want to clone to the new drive?

Many thanks
You do have 2 recovery partitions which is 1 more than a normal windows installation. Usually there is only 1 recovery partition at the end of the disk. Not sure how you got 1 at the beginning. However since it is only 450MB it is not worth risking damaging the cloning process to try and eliminate it. If you mess up the cloning process you would have to redo it or risk having to reinstall windows at a later date just to get back 450MB. So I personally would leave it alone.

Most of us here use the free Macrium software to clone drives. When you run the software you will reach a point where you select all the partitions to clone and a little popup box will allow you to extend the c:boot partition to include all of the available area. That will allow you to fill the disk.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution
You do have 2 recovery partitions which is 1 more than a normal windows installation. Usually there is only 1 recovery partition at the end of the disk. Not sure how you got 1 at the beginning. However since it is only 450MB it is not worth risking damaging the cloning process to try and eliminate it. If you mess up the cloning process you would have to redo it or risk having to reinstall windows at a later date just to get back 450MB. So I personally would leave it alone.

Most of us here use the free Macrium software to clone drives. When you run the software you will reach a point where you select all the partitions to clone and a little popup box will allow you to extend the c:boot partition to include all of the available area. That will allow you to fill the disk.
++++ for MR.