[SOLVED] Disk Read Error but works fine later?

Gajeel

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
Got a Disk Read Error on my SSD earlier and was planning to fix tomorrow but decided to start today, went ahead and tried to turn on my PC and to my surprise it booted up perfectly fine. Took this chance to check crystaldiskinfo and run chkdsk but both said that my SSD was fine. Anyone know what might have been the cause of this problem and what other precautions/tests i should take to ensure that I don't wake up to another Disk Read Error tmw?

Solution
Well if it says its 100% and the text doesn't tell you that it failed, then it can't have failed. Normally HDS gives you a lot more details than just 100%
For instance one of mine says
The status of the solid state disk is PERFECT. Problematic or weak sectors were not found.
The TRIM feature of the SSD is supported and enabled for optimal performance.
The health is determined by SSD specific S.M.A.R.T. attribute(s): #177 Wear Leveling Count
It's still 100%
Download and installed Hard Disk Sentinel and see what that says (man I wish I got paid for advertising this product) It is free for 30 days trial.
What brand of SSD is it? Maybe you need to see the over-provisioning is working and that you have some bad areas now and needs to be copied off.

Gajeel

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
Checked all the cables, nothing wrong with them. Also checked with SeaTools which also said that my SSD and HDD are in good condition, but the same thing happened again today. PC Turned on perfectly fine in the morning but got another disk read error after waking it up from sleep. Waited a couple of hours and now it's turning on perfectly fine again. Anyone have any clue whats causing this?

seatools is never possibly wrong... according to some people

What did HD sentinel say?

Gajeel

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016

Health is at 100% for both my drives

Well if it says its 100% and the text doesn't tell you that it failed, then it can't have failed. Normally HDS gives you a lot more details than just 100%
For instance one of mine says
The status of the solid state disk is PERFECT. Problematic or weak sectors were not found.
The TRIM feature of the SSD is supported and enabled for optimal performance.
The health is determined by SSD specific S.M.A.R.T. attribute(s): #177 Wear Leveling Count
It's still 100%

Solution