Disk Read Error Occurred on boot

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sekai2073

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Few days ago I install a Windows 7 on my HP Pavilion dv6000. It was ok for the first two days then started to get a message saying their is an error in system 32, and wants me to run f something utility (cant remember what it was).

One night the computer was running fine, and shut down fine. When I start it up the next morning on boot I got a black scream message saying "disk read error occurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart" Doesn't help when I restart it. Then I burn a trail version of windows 7 onto a dvd from Microsoft website, and tried to reinstall windows during boot by pressing F9, selecting boot from dvd, but end up back at the same error message.

I spend hours reading all over the net about this problem, and realize it could be one out of many problems. only understand about half the stuff I read. If anyone here got the time to give me a hand with this one on one would really appreciate it.

I'm on, and off it from 2PM-2AM E.S.T.
Thanks for the help.

sekai2073

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011

I was testing to see if the dvd was a problem. It seems like it is. I tried to run it on boot on this computer the working one, but it didn't run. After windows start up on this one (working computer), I open the dvd drive folder, and run the windows 7 setup file, and it works fine.
what you think is wrong about this, and what do u mean by repair on the drive or clean install?

sekai2073

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011

I just set to load dvd first, and wait for the message saying "press any keep to boot from dvd" but it never show up. Instead i got the same old read disk error occurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart message

sekai2073

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011

hey im onto something!!!
I found my old windows vista recovery disk and decided to give it a shot, and it's kinda work...at least more than the win 7

start up computer
hp logo
disk starts to load
then i see the windows something loading
then scream turns light blue and i see mouse point
5mins after nothing on the blue scream going on it starts to fail...

First try
something something doesn't support something.... (forgot)

second try
Error 0x4001100200001012
If this issue continues, please contact HP support

sekai2073

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011

hey im onto something!!!
I found my old windows vista recovery disk and decided to give it a shot, and it's kinda work...at least more than the win 7

start up computer
hp logo
disk starts to load
then i see the windows something loading
then scream turns light blue and i see mouse point
5mins after nothing on the blue scream going on it starts to fail...

First try
something something doesn't support something.... (forgot)

second try
Error 0x4001100200001012
If this issue continues, please contact HP support

The instruction at 0x73aa05ef referenced memory at 0x00000114. the memory could not be read.
click on ok to terminate the program

sekai2073

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011

Cant get the case to open its stuck in the middle even tho i unscrew all the screws...
its something attached with the keyboard....
Im too scare to pull it apart before i make the situation more worse....

I found the trial on some site that has connection with microsoft.

sekai2073

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011

hey im onto something agian....
it's doing something by itself this time....

so after i tried to load the vista recovery disk second time i left in the part 2 of the recovery disk inside
then it reset by itself
and i just left it runing
then it went to a blue scream.....
i was thinking omgwtfbbq! BSOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
then 1 second later it reset by itself.....
then i just left it to load agian
the error message didn't show up
instead seeing something with repair, and load normally or something like that
and something eles pop up forgot
now im at a windows title

system recovery options

a
Use recovery tools that can help fix problems starting windows.
select an operation system to repair.

if your operating system isnt listed, click load drivers and then install drivers for ur hard disk.

b
restore your computer using a system image that you created earlier

(in background it looks like the windows 7 installion image, but i dont have the windows 7 disk inside the dvd drive....)

sekai2073

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011

Which should i select A or B?

ehh...I just open computer>dvd drive
find the win 7 setup drag and drop it in

tada?