"Disk read error" when I partition and install windows on my new Seagate Firecuda 1TB

Apr 30, 2018
Hello friends,

I am getting a "Disk read error" when I partition and install windows on my new Seagate Firecuda 1TB, but no boot problems when I just have 1 partition (excluding the system reserved).

Specs of my laptop are:
1. Intel(R) Core(TM) i5CPU @2.67GHz
2. 4GB RAM
3. 1GB NVidia graphic card
4. Phoenix Bios A08
5. Windows 7, 64-Bit

The system is 8 years old but was running very well until my hard disk crashed and now I have a new one with the above mentioned problem. The old hard drive was Seagate Momentus 7200rpm, 500GB. Can anyone please guide me through this problem? I want to install windows on a smaller partition allowing me other partitions for storage (without the booting problem i.e. "disk read error").

Your system was built with a hard drive using the MBR disk partitioning method. Your new drive probably uses the GPT partitioning method. It may be that that older machine simply does not support GPT.

First thing I would do is boot from an Ultimate Boot CD distro (downloadable free) and see if the drive is GPT. If so, reinitialize it as MBR.

Anyone else know better than I do?

Apr 30, 2018

Thanks for your reply Mr. Wyoming, I have checked it from the Disk management by going in the properties of the disk, then clicking "Volumes" tab. It says that the partition style is MBR. Is it ok to check like this? Is yes, can you think of any other reason which might me causing this problem?