Disk running at 100% non stop!

GarrettRocky

Honorable
Jun 11, 2015
Hey guys i was using CCleaners drive wiper for free space only and it was around 67% completed when i noticed my computer started getting super slow, So i checked task manager and my disk was running at 100%, i restarted my PC and its still running at 100%. ive never had any problems with this until i ran ccleaner

PS: ive tried disabling windows search/super fetch and turning off windows notifications and its still at 100%

i5-4790k
1TB WD Blue
gigabyte z97x gaming 5

Does anyone know why this is happening? thanks for the look.

Solution
You could try uninstalling CCleaner. If that doesn't work - Is there a system restore point you can roll back to?

I also use CCleaner, but only the standard mode, not drive wiper. Your problem may be that you shut down while it was still working.
Hi there GarrettRocky,

That is unpleasant.

What is your OS?

The first thing you need to do is to back up the data stored on the drive.
After that, you can run both disk check and some HDD testing.

Disk Check: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/check-your-hard-disk-for-errors
Test your HDD with WD's DLG tool(short & extended tests) and see if there are abnormal values in the SMART report: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=DgQoga

Another thing you can do is to go to Resource Monitor and see what process is causing this.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

InvalidError

Titan
If the HDD is failing, activity would be stuck at 100% despite low actual process activity.

You may want to download WD's diagnostic tool and see if it has anything to say in the quick diagnostic mode.

As D_Know wrote, you may want to get started on backing your most important stuff up before doing anything else, just in case. Depending on your luck, you may have anywhere from a few minutes to a few days to get your stuff somewhere safe if your HDD is indeed dying. I've had a handful of HDD failures over the past 15 years. The first symptom was Windows randomly freezing and getting progressively worse. I always got lucky enough to at least get all of my important data off of the drives before total failure. Most of the time, total failure occurred while doing a full-format before sending the HDD for RMA.

shoe59

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
You could try uninstalling CCleaner. If that doesn't work - Is there a system restore point you can roll back to?

I also use CCleaner, but only the standard mode, not drive wiper. Your problem may be that you shut down while it was still working.

Solution