Disk usage 100% (cannot fix)

slocar2

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015
Hello!

Since i upgraded to win 10 from win 7 i constantly get 100% disk usage. I tried all solutions superfetch, fetch.... I cannot fix this bulls* HDD. i open a random program and disk usage will jump to 100% not all times but random. It seem that this HDD f* in the head. Biggest problem is while i am in the game this bug happens all the time and PC starts to freeze 0 fps.

Is there any other solution except from buying ssd?

Quinnsten

Honorable
May 15, 2014
Sorry this isn't a solution just wanted to let you know your not alone. The same is happening to me, my usage is at a constant 100% and ms shoots upto like 3000-6000ms constantly and I'm not sure why. I have tried almost all fixes that I have seen so far including turning off superfetch changing Virtual Memory to RAM size and then upto x2 Ram size. So far nothing seems to be working only fix is if I move my HDD to another sata port luckily I have hotswap drive on case in which it will work for a few hours then the problem will present itself again I bought a new hard drive and same issue is happening on the replacement drive what a waste of money lol.

marcusmadsen

Commendable
Oct 5, 2016
I recently dealt with a similar issue on ASUS Q302L laptops upgraded with 240GB SSD and 8GB of RAM. Problem surfaced after installing Windows 10 Anniversary version (1607). Disk continuously cycled to 100% every minute or so. Found while in diagnostic mode, issue did not occur. After disabling and slowly re-enabling all services that differ between diagnostic and normal mode, found the "Power" service was the culprit.

As an admin, disable service from gui or commandline: > sc config "Power" start= disabled
Then reboot.

I don't like this solution as power management is removed which is frequently needed with laptop configuration.

_Lights_

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015
I installed a brand new Windows 10 with 8gigs ram and disk usage shot up to 100% with NO programs running other than the crappy Win10.

Ia it confirmed that Win10 on SSD with 16Gig ram fixes this bug?

That behaviour will stop after Windows fully updates and does it's other stuff. And yes, an SSD woudl help immensly as it would go through that much much faster and not slow down your usage.
Go for an MX300 275GB.

Yet, you really should be using a third party AV. Try Avast.

EDIT: You can disable the AVs scheduled scans. Real-time protection will do just fine.

Delta1248

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016
Hello everyone, I'm PC literate and worked on this for hours on my ASUS NoteBook PC......so I tried lots of service disablements, Updates, etc,,,but this worked...HURRAY ! ! ! !

As an admin from the command prompt:
sc config "Power" start= disabled

Jason_215

Commendable
Jan 16, 2017

On an Asus myself and have had this issue forever. Disabling the Power service dropped me from a constant 100% to 2% while im writing this. Haven't seen it go over 60% even while playing some games. Thanks for the help!