Disk usage 100% constantly

Nbuz

Reputable
Jun 15, 2015
Hello. I've been having issues regarding disk usage for around two weeks now. I have attempted a variety of solutions to no avail. I have a 2TB hard drive and have spent countless hours in the resource manager.

The main process using the most read/write is system. Around 5mb/s read, 1mb/s write. Hovering over the file regarding the image is "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\570762beb40051f263c9ffd43b0ab91e\MetaData\Windows10.0..." or "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\570762beb40051f263c9ffd43b0ab91e\Package_for_RollUpFix~~amd64~~17134.345.1.5\wow64_microsoft-..."

Can someone please help me? I really do not want to have to go through a fresh install or a purchase a new hard drive.

Need to post system spec really.

It looks like a fairly major Windows update is struggling to process. Maybe disable update service, reboot (maybe a few times get update to take), let PC do its thing (hopefully get disk usage down) and re-enable service.

High disk usage is usually caused by some other process, it's not indicative of a problem with the disk itself. One example (though perhaps not in your case) is when there's not much RAM installed -- so Windows often has to swap data from RAM to hard drive (virtual memory) and this can cause high disk usage. It's just a case of finding out what process is causing it in your case. Very unlikely there's anything wrong with the hard drive.

TRENDING THREADS