Disk usage always at 100%

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SagetheGoat

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015
I have had an HP Envy dv6 running Windows 8 for two years, Windows 10 for a week or two. The past two months, my computer has been running so sluggish that it's almost inoperable. Startup time has went from 5-8 minutes to 20, sometimes even 40 minutes. When it does load up to login, it takes an additional 20 minutes for me to even load up task manager.

My disk is constantly running at 100%, despite everything running at 0mb/s consistently. The things that go above that are the system, which will spike to 2.2mb/s, norton/Symantec framework which will hover at 0.2 at most, and a bunch of service host:local services (network) processes. HP support, and a bunch of other system background services also run at 0.1mb/s.

I've done a system reboot, which barely worked. I upgraded to 10, which worked for the first two times turning on, but soon went right back to being unresponsive. I've taken a lot of processes out of startup as well. I was unable to stop indexing services when I was on windows 8, despite running as admin.

Solution
Open up a run dialog by holding down the Windows Key and pressing R. In the "Open" field, enter "services.msc". Look for "Windows Search" and "Superfetch."

Go to each of these entries. Right click on one and select "Properties." In the dropdown box labeled "Startup type," choose Disabled. After leaving the properties window, press "Stop" in the upper left corner. Do this for both.

RoZaD

Commendable
May 8, 2016

This worked for me, at least for right now anyways. Thanks!

ajkchawla

Commendable
May 10, 2016

Thanks so much! You're a life saver, I was thinking my HDD must have been EOL, checked task manager saw that it was very odd that utilization was 100% and never dropping down. Google searched and you saved me from buying a new HDD and having the same issue. Thank you again!

Nana_1

Commendable
May 14, 2016

Spent the last hour trying all the methods from the start of the thread, until i reach this post, yes the prob is caused by antivirus software Avast. I have not installed and finally can use my laptop. Thank you thank you.

Hagayck4

Commendable
May 14, 2016

YES! worked for me as well.

Did all the suggestions, replaced my Avast-free with Avira-free antivirus, disabled superfetch and windows tips. BUT- I've checked the possibility with defining the virtual memory to 1024* etc. , but it works much much better when leaving it as automatically set by windows.

Just checked the results by trying to peak my memory usage (what uncovered the problem with the system and compressed memory in the first place) and this seems to work very well. If before the peak to 100% HD use and memory peak got my computer stuck for minutes, now i can see the peaks, but it falls back after a second or two, and the computer runs smoothly.
Many Many thanks!

(ntoskrnl.exe; System and compressed memory process; win 10; 100% HDD use; High CPU usage)

DV8inPP

Commendable
May 18, 2016
I hadnt been experiencing any problems until yesterday, then things got all slow and 100% DU. Noticed AVG Free had updated itś core program yesterday so uninstalled it. Disk Utilisation still stayed at 100% but the system monitor disc MB/s figures dont add up. So I ran HD tune to check disc performance and watched the system monitor roughly match the hd tune figures whilst the system reported 100% disc usage.

HD Tune just reported max throughput at 134MB/s Min 2MB/s Average 80.9MB/s with DU at 100%. Now disc activity has dropped to 2%

Danielle Spargo

Reputable
Mar 4, 2015
Get an SSD. Samsung recently came out with 3D memory chips so that they can produce a lot of SSD memory for really cheap. I just upgraded to a 500GB SSD, and kept my HDD for my movies and other media. I'll never ever ever ever go back to having my OS on an HDD. If you thought SSDs were out of your budget, the times are changing with this 3D stuff.

Ed Chombeau

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013

Get rid of any third party security suite; use Windows Defender; it's already in your W10 by default. my start up time is 20 seconds with an 7200 HDD. On my SSD Laptop it's 10 seconds.

Leo_2002

Commendable
Jun 14, 2016

It worked , thanks , Disk Performance got from 100% to 10-5% , but it's still crappy af .

yiajiipamu

Honorable
May 23, 2013

Hey so I tried this and I can only change the maximum, not the minimum as far as I can tell. Am I doing something wrong here? Thank you

AQuietNight

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016

jamesltoa4

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009

jamesltoa4

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
[here is my post re pagefile lower down the hierarchy of the post, and:

For diagnosis -
Start task manager and from the performance tab open resource monitor
Then turn on all the columns of the Details view - then turn on More details

You will be looking for the high CPU usage (keeping the CPU busy)
of I/O bytes - read, or maybe something like windows update doing gigabytes of write, or heading towards reading all the OS partition content (keeping the drive from responding to the app/program's read requests)
There are also the key problem pointers - high Pagefile Delta and/or high Memory Delta and massive 'Other I/O'
The start command and description columns give a better idea of the key to google for more info.

Along with the search and other activities mentioned, there are:
the OS downloading large fixes
The OS indexing all files on the partition ( see the File Explorer properties tab on the partition - changing the tick box may cause a couple of hours activity creating the index, or removing entries from the index space - that you may also get back - ignore any access problems when clearing index entries - very unlikely to cause problems.
Microsoft/windows update can get itself confused and need Microsoft chat line technician remote access to fix it!

There is also the Drive/system image that may periodically scan the entire partition looking for changes so it can update the recovery image, and anti-malware drive (partition) scans - even realtime monitoring can cause problems with a facility reading lots of files - or just looking at the first few bytes may cause the real-time checking to read the entire file.
And - I'll add to the Microsoft\windows update - that it may, validly be applying fixes that may, or may not need a restart for the install to be completed, and the changes activated.
In the performance window - check for comms activity - bad connections or timeouts from a remote site can cause the system to appear to have ground to a halt while it repeatedly re-requests the response.
Oh! and that is without any hardware problems at your location!

So =- look for the system usage that seems unaccountable - and check with Google as to the purpose of whatever activity is apparently misbehaving.

anwarc

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016

Hey David, Just wanted to say thanks. Your solution worked like a charm. It still shows 100 disk usage when the computer starts but goes down within a minute. You are a genius my friend. I have been trying to solve this issue for 2 years now and was almost on the verge of giving up. Thanks again

AlmightyHalfrican

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016

Just made an account to say thank you! This worked wonders for me.

tacoma

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013
I had similar problem. Turns out my hard drive was going bad. I ran the HD diags found in bios set up options. It passed the quick test but failed the long test which took a few hours to run.

Stefan_Dus

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016
Nothing in this thread has worked for me. I am still struggling with this HDD busy thing. I pinpointed it down to MAYBE being related to AV services. Disabling Windows Defender helped, but installing a 3rd party AV didn't => same problems. SSD is healthy according to Crystal.

philef

Commendable
Jul 9, 2016

Dude, thank you from the bottom of my heart !!!! ;-)

DeanoV6

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016
Try uninstalling Skype Video by right-clicking on it in the start menu and selecting uninstall and see what happens to your disk utilisation
;)

(And if you still need Skype, use the normal Skype app instead).

TechGenie

Commendable
Jun 20, 2016

Thank u so much!!It works.Went from 100 percent to 4-6 percent on average.Again thank you!

Hi there

I was having this issue as i have been setting up a laptop at work for my colleagues to use for their conferences and i disabled the superfetch and windows search but disabling windows search stopped me from searching for programs that work over wise be unaccessable to me. Disabling only superfetch fixed the problem for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.