Disk Usage Always at 99%

ComputerNoob103

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
For the past week I noticed my boot time has doubled. Not only that but whenever I turn on an application, it takes forever to load, and my disk utilization gets up to 99%, whether it be a game, or just chrome, it always does this. I have tried many solutions, disabling superfetch, and changing memory allocation, all to no avail.

Slow Pri

Respectable
Feb 29, 2016
Windows Key + R should open up a run box which you should type in "msconfig" and than go to start-ups and see if there are any programs that are affecting the start-up. I would check that out first.

If not I'd reference this and attempt a few of these steps:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-tips-fix-100-disk-usage-improve-windows-performance/

ComputerNoob103

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016

I have done both what you said and the methods used in the article, but it has not helped. If anything, it has gotten worse.

Pasting from a similar thread.

If you're running Win 10, you can try this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3267507/fix-100-disc-usage-system-service.html

It's helped some people, but not everyone experiencing this problem. Other causes can include a failing hard drive (download and run manufacturer suggested disk utility software, SMART check etc), competing (ie Defender + other) or corrupted antivirus software, actual viruses infecting your machine, AHCI mode failure, and stuck Windows processes such as Windows update and WMP indexer.

ComputerNoob103

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016

Attempting that does not seem to have helped, and the disk is perfectly healthy, at this point I'm considering just wiping the drive and have a clean re-install

ComputerNoob103

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016

You mean the SSD? It just went and died overnight out of nowhere. As for my current HDD I just noticed it started to significantly slow down after a couple of days of use, so I'm not sure what caused it.

ComputerNoob103

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016

The SSD has been RMAd and im still waiting for it back, and the software says the disk is clean.

ComputerNoob103

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016

It passed the short test, but I've yet to do the long test, which will probably take 6 hours.