Disk usage on start up

KiwiKewei

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013
I recently upgraded my graphics card from a hd 7770 to a gtx 960 and my disk usage on start up has been really high. Any ideas of what is causing this?

I already removed my old graphics card drivers but im not sure if its completely gone or if its causing the problem.

http://prntscr.com/bhoisi

It also seems to be on 100% until i open task manager and it starts to go down

http://prntscr.com/bhomh6

Solution
Hey there, KiwiKewei!

I'd suggest you check the connections in your PC and make sure you have the WD HDD properly mounted. It's also recommended to check how the HDD will perform when you swap the SATA cable and change the SATA port on the motherboard where the drive is connected to. If the spikes happen only during startup, you shouldn't be so worried. If it happens all the time, you should check your anti-virus/malware software and disable it. Some other things that might also affect the HDD usage are these Windows Services, so you should check how it will perform when you disable them.

If nothing helps, backup all your data from the WD Blue and use WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows to check up on...
Hey there, KiwiKewei!

I'd suggest you check the connections in your PC and make sure you have the WD HDD properly mounted. It's also recommended to check how the HDD will perform when you swap the SATA cable and change the SATA port on the motherboard where the drive is connected to. If the spikes happen only during startup, you shouldn't be so worried. If it happens all the time, you should check your anti-virus/malware software and disable it. Some other things that might also affect the HDD usage are these Windows Services, so you should check how it will perform when you disable them.

If nothing helps, backup all your data from the WD Blue and use WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows to check up on the health and SMART status. Make sure you run both the QUICK and the EXTENDED tests.

Keep me posted with the troubleshooting & good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution