[SOLVED] Disk usage spikes up to 100%, freezes and then BSoD's after 1 hour of uptime

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 27, 2023
So for the past 3 weeks my pc has been freezing and getting BSoD's after 1 hour of uptime, i can still move my mouse but i cant click anything and after about 1 minute after freezing it BSoD's. This all started happening right after i did a clean Windows install and updated my BIOS. When I did this I also installed a new drive and set that as the boot drive, after which my problem started occuring. I have set my boot drive to different drives, this didnt work. I also have preformed countless troubleshooting steps such as:
  • defragmenting drives
  • disk checks
  • formatting again
  • checking for memory failures
  • updating drivers etc.

none of those have helped.

It can't be a temperatue issue because all my temps are normal before the crash, plus it happens regardless of if my pc is under load or not. i also dont expect it to be a PSU issue since it seems to "remember" my pc uptime through restart, like for example: if i restart my pc after 45 minutes of uptime since the last crash, it will work for around 15 minutes and then crash again. i also recently found out that right before crashing my disk usage will be 100% in task manager. The BSoD error codes i have been getting are: UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION, KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR and CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED.

PC Specs:
GPU: RX 580 Sapphire Nitro
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2133MT/s 16GB
MOBO: ASROCK A320M-DVS R3.0
PSU: be quiet! 500W

Any help would be much appreciated.

May 27, 2023
what the storage?
I first had 1 500gb crucial SSD and a 1TB Seagate barracuda HDD, then i added a 250 gb Samsung SSD, about a month after getting the Samsung SSD i reinstalled windows and put that as my boot drive, then the crashes started so I put the crucial as the boot drive again which didn't fix it. Then i got another crucial 64gb SSD which is now my boot drive and that also didn't fix it.

I first had 1 500gb crucial SSD and a 1TB Seagate barracuda HDD, then i added a 250 gb Samsung SSD, about a month after getting the Samsung SSD i reinstalled windows and put that as my boot drive, then the crashes started so I put the crucial as the boot drive again which didn't fix it. Then i got another crucial 64gb SSD which is now my boot drive and that also didn't fix it.
So - what is your final storage configuration?
List complete model names of your drives.
Do you have all of those drives installed in your system currently?
Can you show screenshot from Disk Management?
Check health of your storage devices. Use Hdtune health. Post screenshot.
Check health of SSDs with respective manufacturer SSD tool - Samsung Magician, Crucial Storage executive.
Post screenshots (upload to imgur.com and post link).

Colif

Win 11 Master
which one is C drive. these errors

UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION, KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR and CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED.
unexpected store exception refers to a store used by CPU to track contents of virtual memory. data can only be in 2 places, ram or page file. Page file on C

Kernel data inpage is also likely to be a page file error.

Last less obvious but I could guess its probaby boot files. Its an error that can only be caused by MIcrosoft files, as there are a few that if they crash, windows has no choice but to follow.

SO I would check health of C drive.

May 27, 2023
which one is C drive. these errors

unexpected store exception refers to a store used by CPU to track contents of virtual memory. data can only be in 2 places, ram or page file. Page file on C

Kernel data inpage is also likely to be a page file error.

Last less obvious but I could guess its probaby boot files. Its an error that can only be caused by MIcrosoft files, as there are a few that if they crash, windows has no choice but to follow.

SO I would check health of C drive.
well, i used Crystal Disk Info which gave a rating of 99 to my C drive

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you show screenshots? upload to an image sharing website and show links.

what make/model is c drive as many makers have their own tests, just to be sure.

in case you bsod again
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

May 27, 2023
So - what is your final storage configuration?
List complete model names of your drives.
Do you have all of those drives installed in your system currently?
Can you show screenshot from Disk Management?
Check health of your storage devices. Use Hdtune health. Post screenshot.
Check health of SSDs with respective manufacturer SSD tool - Samsung Magician, Crucial Storage executive.
Post screenshots (upload to imgur.com and post link).
drive 0 (Boot) 64GB Crucial CT064M4SS2, drive 1 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, Drive 2 Crucial CT500MX500SSD1 and drive 3 Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM010
they are all currently in my system
i am currently not able to make screenshots but crucial storage executive said my C drive was in good health and Crystal Disk Info gave it a rating of 99

May 27, 2023
can you show screenshots? upload to an image sharing website and show links.

what make/model is c drive as many makers have their own tests, just to be sure.

in case you bsod again
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
i currently cant make any screenshots but crucial storage executive said my C drive was in good health
C drive: 64GB Crucial CT064M4SS2

i have recently changed it to create a small memory dump but it seems to not be creating anything

Colif

Win 11 Master
64gb... how old is drive. You probably better off using a larger drive for windows. 250gb or larger is what we normally recommend.

Its possible problem is physical, windows cannot tell. Nor can the testing software.

I would swap to another of your drives. Or buy a new one if its healthiest of your drives now.

May 27, 2023
64gb... how old is drive. You probably better off using a larger drive for windows. 250gb or larger is what we normally recommend.

Its possible problem is physical, windows cannot tell. Nor can the testing software.

I would swap to another of your drives. Or buy a new one if its healthiest of your drives now.
So, i swapped back to the 500gb ssd i used as my boot drive originally, and whaddya know it, it works. Though after one hour i noticed that on the 64gb drive (on which i had nothing installed yet) the disk usage went up to 100%. So what I'm guessing is either the drive or the firmware was faulty and that's why it crashed. Anyways i just took it out of my system and I'm not planning to replace it since everything seems to be working fine and it's only a 64gb drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.