Question Disk usage spiking to 100% on one specific game ?

Brian1888

Prominent
Jun 21, 2021
Hello, I am having issues with my SSD spiking to 100% at random times for around 30-60 seconds on a specific game.

The game I am having an issue with this on is New World. I have tried searching through the New World forums for solutions on fixes but no luck.

The issue only exists on New World. I can browse through google chrome, watch films, videos etc. with my disk sitting at 0%.
If the disk usage isn't at 100% then it will sit idle and bounce around 30-60% before finally spiking to 100%.

I have noticed that sometimes just tabbing out or launching a program will cause the 100% spike too.

Specs:
Windows 11
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
RTX 3060 Ti
500GB SSD (338GB available)
PSU: Corsair 650w
16GB DDR4 3200 MHz

I have tried:
Updating graphics drivers
Updating Windows
Reinstalling New World
Reinstalling Windows
Downgrading graphics driver version
Resetting Virtual Memory
Lowering in-game graphics + resolution

I presume you are referring to the open-world MMO game ? Do you have the game on STEAM ? If yes, then try to verify the integrity of your game files once. This seems to be a game specific issue.

Steam Support :: Verify Integrity of Game Files 7

I'm not fully sure whether this workaround will work in your case, but there is no harm in trying. But this solution mostly works when the game is also freezing on your computer.
  • Press Windows key + R
  • Type %appdata%
  • Go to AppData > Roaming > AGS > New World.
  • Delete the Save data folder and the user_preload_settings.cfg file.
  • Reboot the PC and you’ll see that the files deleted would be recreated
Also delete these folders:
  • C:\Users(your comp name)\AppData\Local\AGS
  • C:\Users(your comp name)\AppData\Roaming\AGS
Then try playing the game again, and see whether the disk usage is spiking or not.

Brian1888

Prominent
Jun 21, 2021
I presume you are referring to the open-world MMO game ? Do you have the game on STEAM ? If yes, then try to verify the integrity of your game files once. This seems to be a game specific issue.

Steam Support :: Verify Integrity of Game Files 7

I'm not fully sure whether this workaround will work in your case, but there is no harm in trying. But this solution mostly works when the game is also freezing on your computer.
  • Press Windows key + R
  • Type %appdata%
  • Go to AppData > Roaming > AGS > New World.
  • Delete the Save data folder and the user_preload_settings.cfg file.
  • Reboot the PC and you’ll see that the files deleted would be recreated
Also delete these folders:
  • C:\Users(your comp name)\AppData\Local\AGS
  • C:\Users(your comp name)\AppData\Roaming\AGS
Then try playing the game again, and see whether the disk usage is spiking or not.

Hi, I tried this and the issue still persists. Spiked to 100% within 30 seconds of having the game open.