[SOLVED] Disk Windows Is Installed on Is Read Only

Feb 15, 2020
Hi Everyone,

Had some issues with my PC so I did a fresh install of windows10 from my boot up USB. Formatted my SSD and then had to clear the SSD partition before installing using the diskpart>clear disk command for some reason unknown to me.

Windows10 installed onto said SSD drive. Downloaded steam (on my storage drive), tried to download a game onto my SSD drive and was greeted with a "Can't write to disk" error.

I can actually make new folders on the SSD but windows is asking me to run everything as an admin as if I'm on a network or something.

I have tried properties>security, everything seems to be turned on "Authenticated Users" "SYSTEM" "Admins" "Users".

I have tried running diskpart>attributes disk clear readonly, but that just says failed.

I have tried going into "regedit" and finding the write protect key but I can't find one there.

This is strange and doesn't feel right, I have re-installed windows10 a couple of times on my PC and not had this kind of issue.

I don't think the SSD has any bad blocks.

Is this is steam, windows or SSD issue? I don't really have any idea.

If anyone has had this issue or can lend a hand I would be very grateful.

Thanks!

J

Solution
There is a way to avoid being forced to make an account, you just need to be not connected to internet when you run installer.

it wouldn't force you to make the account the 2nd time as you already had one. Did you use it on 2nd install?

one answer I found for that was delete a folder called steam in there, though you would think thats unlikely on a clean install - https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/3307213006836992589/

How big is the ssd? I have all my games on my 2tb hdd.

Have you tried to install anything else?

Colif

Win 11 Master
When you set PC up, did you create a local user or use an account linked to a Microsoft account? as your user should be admin. That is how it works, UAC still pops up if you want to install anything that needs admin rights, but installing Steam games shouldn't need that.

It sounds like a permissions error as every folder in Win 10 is always set to read only by default, you should have the permissions needed to create and save any files.

I have seen this before but it was at launch of Win 10 and the answer to that no longer applies. The problem was Onedrive had more access to my library folders than I did, creating a homegroup fixed it.

Try making another USEr and see if its just the one you have now - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au...-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account

Feb 15, 2020
When you set PC up, did you create a local user or use an account linked to a Microsoft account? as your user should be admin. That is how it works, UAC still pops up if you want to install anything that needs admin rights, but installing Steam games shouldn't need that.

It sounds like a permissions error as every folder in Win 10 is always set to read only by default, you should have the permissions needed to create and save any files.

I have seen this before but it was at launch of Win 10 and the answer to that no longer applies. The problem was Onedrive had more access to my library folders than I did, creating a homegroup fixed it.

Try making another USEr and see if its just the one you have now - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au...-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account

Hi colif,

thanks for the reply.

When I first re-installed windows I just did the reset method, this forced me to make a windows account even though I didn't wish to so I had to make one just to get past that screen and load up the PC.

After that when my PC loaded up it didn't feel like the clean install I wanted so I did a hard re-install from my windows USB pen drive and that's where my original story starts. Second time round it didn't force me to make an account.

I have since managed to install the steam library but I had to make a new folder in the C drive root directory. When I tried to install steam into C:\Program Files (x86) that's where it wouldn't let me put the library for some reason?

Anyway this workaround will be ok for me for now but still a bit stumped as to why I couldn't write this folder. I may try your suggestion above in time and see if that works.

Thanks again.

Colif

Win 11 Master
There is a way to avoid being forced to make an account, you just need to be not connected to internet when you run installer.

it wouldn't force you to make the account the 2nd time as you already had one. Did you use it on 2nd install?

one answer I found for that was delete a folder called steam in there, though you would think thats unlikely on a clean install - https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/3307213006836992589/

Solution
Feb 15, 2020

Second install I didn't use any account info to sign in and then just skipped all the account stuff, I've installed windows a few time and never been asked to make an account if I didn't want one (I don't think?).

SSD is only 120GB which is just enough for a couple of bits of software that I use, most stuff I do save to my 1TB storage drive but I always save PUBG to my SSD. I have subsequently downloaded the game onto the SSD without seemingly any problems so far.

I have just tried a quick round and can confirm that PUBG is running so hey ho I mean that's good enough for me :)

Thanks.