Diskeeper Can Help Prevent HDD Fragmentation

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Disktrix Ultimate defrag does it all for me!
It can keep my folders together (as opposed to keeping files together), I can focus windows, swap file, and program files on the outer ring of the disk (for faster access).
I can also defrag folders with large data and backups (.iso, .rar, .mov, .divx, .avi, .mkv, .ogv, .zip, .7z, hybernation file, ...) to the inner ring which has slower data transfer (fast access of these files is seldom necessary)..

There's really nothing I can't do with that software. And after a thorough defrag of 20 hours, my system will run like new for the first 6 months!

connacht

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
It's called setting your paging file to 4092MB Max, and 4092MB Min. Biggest culprits of fragmentation: Windows managed paging file, second to that is setting the minimum/initial size way lower then it should be. On a desktop PC, and even more-so on a server, you will "magiclly" find that you won't get above 5% fragmentation ever again. Yes it works on any/all RAID setups, external drives, no matter the size.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]matchboxmatt[/nom]Am I the only one who finds the "M$" acronym incredibly obnoxious?[/citation]
No, you're not alone. It's really annoying

Data fragmentation... Ah yes, as caused by Microsoft's lousy block allocator! I wonder when will MS finally correct it. I mean, I've been using NTFS-3G (on Linux) on NTFS volumes that can get rather full, and I've done a test:

On a 70% full volume, with files of various sizes that see some churn from both OSes, copying a 650 Mb ISO file (a Linux distro) from Linux with NTFS-3G yielded 30 fragments.

Deleting that file and copying the very same file to the very same volume under Vista (SP1) yielded 1314 fragments. And since I performed that test, NTFS-3G has improved its block allocator for disk full cases...

I thought Microsoft had created NTFS. How comes an open source project can write a better driver for it?

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
[citation][nom]matchboxmatt[/nom]Am I the only one who finds the "M$" acronym incredibly obnoxious?[/citation]

Am I the only one who finds the company behind it incredibly obnoxious?

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
True fragmentation was back in win98 days where heavy fragmentation, if not taken care of, could lock/crash up your system HAHA! uhm... now I laugh but back then I cried. Oh so many tears...

But Ive always thought fragmentation was a win98 and xp thing. I've ran auslogics defrag on many vista machines and fragmentation was always nearly non existant... Anyways, I think we may all agree that progress is on the way :)

that_aznpride101

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2005
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]Disktrix Ultimate defrag does it all for me!It can keep my folders together (as opposed to keeping files together), I can focus windows, swap file, and program files on the outer ring of the disk (for faster access).I can also defrag folders with large data and backups (.iso, .rar, .mov, .divx, .avi, .mkv, .ogv, .zip, .7z, hybernation file, ...) to the inner ring which has slower data transfer (fast access of these files is seldom necessary)..There's really nothing I can't do with that software. And after a thorough defrag of 20 hours, my system will run like new for the first 6 months![/citation]

Mark down this guy's post, it's obviously spam.

[citation][nom]ssalim[/nom]True in... 10 years?[/citation]
No, I think they will be cheap enough by next year that I might buy one... If only I could find a good one with an IDE connection for my old laptop and not one with the Jmicron issue.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Yes it does defrag your drive.
But at what cost? It runs in the background consuming resources. There is NO option to completely defrag your drive while you wait like the windoze version will at least try to do. Instead you have to wait... and wait.. and wait.. and wonder wtf it is really doing in the background while your HD is chattering away.
Add to that, the software is expensive for anyone with multiple PCs (as most TH readers have).

If there was a shareware/freeware version I might be interested, but I tried their 45 day trial version and was not impressed

philologos

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
I'm afraid to say this "article" is a shameless advertisement. Not that it really needs to be said; anyone with a modicum of critical facility would instantly recognize this fact. What about PerfectDisk or the slew of free defragmenters out there? Heck, Windows default utility is adequate for just about anybody. Did PD pay you for this "story?" Or are you just so naive as to confuse a press release with a relevant news story. Do you know how expensive their product is?

As an aside, I also read their management was affiliated with Scientology and they discriminate against those outside the organization. I hope this is merely a malicious rumor, and I don't give a s*it if someone belongs to this curious religion, but I am wary nonetheless of this scam/company.

Stop publishing press releases as legitimate tech journalism!

WelkyndStone

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
I have been using Diskeeper 2010 for the last one week, and it works prefectly fine. I didn't notice any resource consumption spikes; it's said to use only idle resources for defragging and that claim seems accurate. With fraps I benched some of my games (Crysis, FC2 etc) with and without DK running in the background; there is no difference. Neither is there any difference in real-world usage.

Actually there is an option for manual defrag but I haven't tried it yet....apparently it's not as effective as the auto mode, so I may not bother. Really, in 2009 who waits around for a defrag to end before using the PC :)

As an auto defragger, it's a great utility- install it and then forget about defrag. I don't think there are any freeware equivalents with all the useful features found in DK especially the fragmentation prevention algorithm, the flexibility, system files defrag, low space defrag etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.