Question DISM and SFC cannot fix corrupted files ?

Nov 7, 2023
Hello, the problem started with me switching out my old ram and after I did that my PC started running extremely slowly and my audio kept skipping and glitching, tried to run SFC and it said I have corrupt files that it couldnt fix, tried running DISM and this is the current state of affairs

c:\>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:WIM:c:\install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.22621.1

Image Version: 10.0.22621.1702

[===========================53.3% ]
Error: 3

The system cannot find the path specified.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Tried again but this time just using restorehealth

c:\>DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.22621.1

Image Version: 10.0.22621.1702

[===========================53.3% ]
Error: 3

The system cannot find the path specified.

I'm incredibly lost, I'd like to fix the issue without having to fac reset my PC again since it's such a pain to get all my games reinstalled and such. Please help :(

Link to dism.log

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

since it's such a pain to get all my games reinstalled
If you're on Steam, you could just assign a drive to be your game library and after an OS reinstall you can browse to inform the launcher to see the drive that was assigned as your game library.

problem started with me switching out my old ram
Would be tell tale that your ram is the issue. Swap back to the older ram kit. Might want to make sure your BIOS is on the latest version and you've cleared the CMOS after verifying your BIOS is on the latest version.

Nov 7, 2023
Well I did the memory scan thing on the old sticks and it said hardware issue, no hardware issue on the new ones, but I did try switching back anyway and the problem still persists so I'm back on the new ram. Cleared my CMOS every time and my BIOS is current. As for the steam thing my other drive is an HDD and it takes forever to move all the files to and back :(

Colif

Win 11 Master
error 3 could just be spacing. DISM is pretty picky

did you mount the iso?

your command line seems to be missing a word

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess
Where "X" is the drive letter where the ISO is located. Simply change the "X" to the correct drive letter

if you had bad ram before, it could have corrupted files, hence your problems.

If you have a win 11 installer with 22H2 on it, you could do a repair install. Alas the iso on win 11 site now is the new one, 23H2 (or should be) so I can't offer it. Bad timing.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023
error 3 could just be spacing. DISM is pretty picky

did you mount the iso?

your command line seems to be missing a word

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess
Where "X" is the drive letter where the ISO is located. Simply change the "X" to the correct drive letter

if you had bad ram before, it could have corrupted files, hence your problems.

If you have a win 11 installer with 22H2 on it, you could do a repair install. Alas the iso on win 11 site now is the new one, 23H2 (or should be) so I can't offer it. Bad timing.
I had the ISO mounted when I initially tried, however the virtual disk boot thingy disappears every time I reboot the system, will the repair install affect any files or whatever? If so I wanna try to exhaust all my options before I go nuclear
just tried that, no dice on both the full file path and just the restorehealth

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
log shows this - 0x80070003.
have you tried running the windows update troubleshooter? As I keep seeing that as an answer.

these might help = https://www.tenforums.com/windows-u...0070003-troubleshooter-sfc-dism-wont-fix.html

what you might need to do is a repair install. Even though this page shows 23H2 as versions of the files under, I have been told the 2nd link still gives you 22H2. - https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11

Download media creation tool
create a USB using it
follow these steps - https://www.elevenforum.com/t/repair-install-windows-11-with-an-in-place-upgrade.418/

If the iso you got was 23H2 like its supposed to be (and Microsoft hadn't messed up), you could use the USB to update to 23H2 and since it replaces windows version, it might fix the problem.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Might want to make USB on a PC which isn't have problems

you might want to run this on USB and see which version it makes now - https://www.howtogeek.com/362502/ho...rsion-and-build-is-on-a-dvd-iso-or-usb-drive/

If header is right, it should be 23H2.
I have just been led to believe its still 22H2

if its 22H2, do repair install
If its 23H2, try the upgrade

to upgrade using USB...
Once its created, put it in PC that isn't working right
open file explorer
navigate to USB and run setup
Follow process and it should offer to update current PC.

Nov 7, 2023
Sorry for late reply, been super busy with work so I've been doing it off the USB this whole time and yeah at best I can get it to get stuck at either 100% (one of the first attempts) or 46% (every somewhat successful subsequent attempt) on the "getting updates" screen. My PC has not been able to successfully install a windows update in at least 3 or so months now so I'm assuming whatever was causing that issue is also blocking me from doing the windows repair

Colif

Win 11 Master
how about trying to run the update without the internet attached. It might get past the update stage if it can't actually attach to a server to get any. If you are running off the USB you shouldn't need them.

Only other way I see you getting anywhere is a clean install of windows 11. It isn't that bad if you can make sure you have everything you need saved off C before you do it.

I would follow this guide when you ready - https://www.elevenforum.com/t/clean-install-windows-11.99/