[SOLVED] Display advice please

Sep 22, 2019
I am really struggling between these to models, unsure which one to get.

Philips 276E8FJAB OR
LG 27UD59P

Phillip's monitor isn't 4k but has 350nits of brightness.

LG monitor is 4k but only 250nits of brightness.

Which one do people think is best. Thanks in advance.

Solution

Break it down. 1 is 2k & the other is 4k. Both are 60hz. Mostly used for work & browsing. Both are 27". The 2k is 350nits & the 4k is nice & bright as well. (Not sure if the listed max SDR brightness of 329 is the correct score but typical is 300nits.) The 4k was noted to have brief image retention after a static scene is shown which isn't good. Can't find the same info for the 2k. The 4k has a noted 9+ms input lag which reading for this monitor is low. The 2k's input lag is 4ms Grey-to-grey. The 4k is $350, the 2k is $250 (depending on location, price will change)

Both are nice, I'd go for the 2k myself. I spent a long time looking at 2k & 4k monitors before settling on my MSI Optic 32" 2k @ 144hz. However, I'm sure a...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
I will mainly use it for browsing the web & work. Just want a bright screen though?

Thanks for the advice so far

I personally like a bright screen and so ensured the monitor I just bought was a minimum of 300nits. Then again also kinda depends a little on where you'll be working & your overall eye sight. If in a bright room, then yea, I'd like a brighter screen so that I could be sure to see it, but if its a darker area, well then.. Of course this is just me. I'm sure a resident expert will be along shortly.

Whats your max budget? Do you NEED 4K? Is 27" the max room you have to work with?

Sep 22, 2019
I personally like a bright screen and so ensured the monitor I just bought was a minimum of 300nits. Then again also kinda depends a little on where you'll be working & your overall eye sight. If in a bright room, then yea, I'd like a brighter screen so that I could be sure to see it, but if its a darker area, well then.. Of course this is just me. I'm sure a resident expert will be along shortly.

Whats your max budget? Do you NEED 4K? Is 27" the max room you have to work with?

Max budget is £250.00. I am happy with the size of 27" IPS display.

I would rather have the LG 4k screen but it worries me that is only 250nits. Is this low for a 4k ips display? Or will it just be the same as the Phillip's one as this one is not 4k?

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED

Break it down. 1 is 2k & the other is 4k. Both are 60hz. Mostly used for work & browsing. Both are 27". The 2k is 350nits & the 4k is nice & bright as well. (Not sure if the listed max SDR brightness of 329 is the correct score but typical is 300nits.) The 4k was noted to have brief image retention after a static scene is shown which isn't good. Can't find the same info for the 2k. The 4k has a noted 9+ms input lag which reading for this monitor is low. The 2k's input lag is 4ms Grey-to-grey. The 4k is $350, the 2k is $250 (depending on location, price will change)

Both are nice, I'd go for the 2k myself. I spent a long time looking at 2k & 4k monitors before settling on my MSI Optic 32" 2k @ 144hz. However, I'm sure a monitor guru will be along shortly and will weigh in with their thoughts. The above is just my own opinion.

Might be worth noting: In-store at a local BestBuy, I had a TV Tech/salesman tell me that while having 4k for some work purposes was nice, was still pretty much a gimic in sizes under 40"

Last edited:
Solution

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Would the LG screen be that bright at 250nits??
Thanks ian

I edited my original reply as I noticed that while searching for your monitor, the google link took me to a different 27" LG model with a similar model# ending in 68 & not 59. My apologies. As for 250nits, thats entirely up to you. Is your room/office bright or dark. If dark, I'd think 250 would be fine. If the opposite, then 250 may be too dim. Looking on LG's site, that particular monitor has been discontinued. (Not saying you can't still buy it, just that it's been discontinued)