Display botched after crash, in need of help!

G

I'll be honest: I have no idea if this is an issue with my OS (Windows 7) or my hardware or possibly something else. Any help at all is greatly appreciated though!

Background Information:
My OS came up as invalid a few weeks ago. I've been getting system messages telling me that it's not a real copy, so I bought another one and it should be arriving any day now. However, it seems like my desktop didn't long enough.

What happened:
I was playing osu! (rhythm game involving lots of key smashing), and I noticed that some of my keys were not registering properly. The display suddenly became covered in neon green pixilated squares, and my music was replaced by a long steady BEEP noise. I waited for about 30 seconds to see if anything would happen, but my screen was frozen with the squares and the beeping noise kept dragging on. I ended up forcing a shut down. When I restarted my computer, my display was completely messed up.

Desktop's Current State:
It still turns on, loads Windows7, launches programs and etc, but the display is not doing so hot.The resolution is stuck at 640x480 (normally 1920x1080), and there are no other options available when I checked settings. All my colors are negative, and images come up very pixelated/distorted. It's tricky to access programs because the resolution cuts off the majority of my windows, and I've been resorting to round about methods of getting to where I want. Some features/icons (ex: exiting/minimizing windows) don't show up properly, and I have to guess where they are.

Specs:
Nvidia GTX 560 Ti
Er... I don't know the rest of the specs to my desktop off the top of my head. I tried checking it through My Computer properties and CCleaner, but the windows are cut off on my screen and I can't find a way to resize/drag them in way to make it visible. The desktop is about 3 years old, custom built from iBuypower and had some fairly high end (at the time) parts.

Other notes:
My keyboard (Razer Deathstalker, drivers installed) does not work when booting up. It's been like this for as long as I remember and I never thought it would matter until now. Whenever I'm given options on how I want to start up, pressing my keys does nothing, so I'm not really sure how to access BIOS (or if I really need to access BIOS in the first place; I have no idea what I'd be doing there).

So... Anyone have a clue what happened? Did I leave my invalid Windows7 OS running for too long, did a piece of my hardware get fried, or is it something else altogether? I'm hoping to understand the cause of this so I can address the most important question, which is: How do I fix this?

I've tried to include as much information as I can, but if there's anything else I can mention, please let me know. Again, any help/suggestions are welcomed and much appreciated.

Sounds like a driver or a hardware issue with the video card, maybe overheating or power supply failing. First make sure your case and video card fans are clean. Then uninstall and re-install the NVidia drivers. If that also does not work, test the video card in another system and/or another card with similar power use in yours. If the card works fine in another system, you can try a new Windows setup, even if the drivers did not help you, or try another power supply. New Windows setup may not help, but at least will rule out software as the cause before you spend money on another power supply or need to borrow one.

G

Thanks for your reply!

I tried reinstalling the drivers, but ran into an error where it wouldn't recognize my graphics card. Unfortunately I don't have a spare graphics card or another desktop, so I had to take it into a store where they did that for me. Even with another graphics card, my desktop continued to have display issues, so the problem doesn't seem to be with that. I ended up deciding to leave my computer with the store so they can check my other hardware. I don't have spare pieces of anything :( We'll get to see what went wrong in a couple of days.

On the bright side, I learned how to take out my graphics card while I was there. I've been dusting from really odd angles since I was always afraid of taking it out before, so uh, now I don't have to do that. That's nice.

TRENDING THREADS