[SOLVED] Display BSOD's when moving cursor to 2nd screen

Oct 3, 2020
When i move my cursor over to my new second monitor, my laptop/monitor crashes.

the monitor i have is: AOC U2790PQU.
the laptop i have is the: lenovo legion 7i with an nvidia rtx 2070 super max-q and i7-10750h cpu.

as the title says When i move my cursor over to my new second monitor, my laptop/monitor crashes.
it happens when i put the monitor in 4k (https://streamable.com/45cx2a @2:00), but also in different resolutions when i go full screen and move my cursor.
if i am not fast enough to move my cursor back to my laptop screen my laptop gets a bsod ( View: https://imgur.com/a/ZFXIhoy
) and restarts.
the monitor is connected with the included hdmi high-speed cable to my laptop. (i tried the HDMI 2.0 and HDMI 1.4 port of my monitor, my laptop only has HDMI 2.0)

things that i have tried and didn't fix it
things that worked
  • connecting the new monitor with my old dell laptop with HDMI, 4k worked. (this means the monitor is not the problem?)
  • connecting my laptop to my 1080p 60hz TV (i don't have a different 4k monitor or TV to test my laptop)

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to go over to Lenovo's support site and see if you have BIOS updates pending. Prior to downloading and installing any BIOS updates, please use CPU-Z to verify which BIOS you're currently on.

The next step is to see which version of Windows 10 you're currently on. We're currently on Windows 10 version 2004(soon to get a new update before this year ends).

Without the external display, do you experience the same issue? You might want to also try and use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and then reinstall the latest drivers sourced manually from Nvidia's support site. Manually install the driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to go over to Lenovo's support site and see if you have BIOS updates pending. Prior to downloading and installing any BIOS updates, please use CPU-Z to verify which BIOS you're currently on.

The next step is to see which version of Windows 10 you're currently on. We're currently on Windows 10 version 2004(soon to get a new update before this year ends).

Without the external display, do you experience the same issue? You might want to also try and use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and then reinstall the latest drivers sourced manually from Nvidia's support site. Manually install the driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Solution