Question Display calibration after connecting for Color Accuracy

muftiazan

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012
Hello
I am considering moving my design to print and pursuing it professionally and for that I have considered buying a monitor which is wide-gamut and has color accuracy (deltaE<3) for which BenQ BL2420PT seems to be the right fit for my budget. Given these factors, I am learning that a display's color accuracy varies from machine to machine i.e. if I connect my monitor to a different machine, it's configuration will change and also that a display's color configuration degrades with time so calibration is required every 6 weeks or so. Given these factors, if a Pantone valitdated(or similar) monitor ships with accurate configuration and I connect to my PC, do I need to calibrate it or does it remain calibrated?
Further, if the display is initially calibrated, will backing up it's color profile initially and re-using it after the configuration wears off in 6 weeks mean that I wont have to calibrate it again?
Since, I am new to it, I can only tell that color calibration using software is inconsistent and difficult and hardware calibration tools are off reach for a student like me.
Please guide me with the same
Thanks

USAFRet

Titan
You WILL need to recalibrate occasionally, and a hardware device IS strongly recommended.
Monitors change as they age. The numbers you use today will not be the same in 2 months, and will not be the exact same in a year.

Hardware device is recommended because eyeballs and software just isn't good enough. What looks good at 9AM is not the same as what looks good at 9PM. Ambient light changes.

muftiazan

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012
You WILL need to recalibrate occasionally, and a hardware device IS strongly recommended.
Monitors change as they age. The numbers you use today will not be the same in 2 months, and will not be the exact same in a year.

Hardware device is recommended because eyeballs and software just isn't good enough. What looks good at 9AM is not the same as what looks good at 9PM. Ambient light changes.
I have another question. The 2420PT is advertised with dealtaE to be less than 3 and in contrast, another wide gamut display EW277HDR is not. Is it possible for me to calibrate the display to have deltaE < 3 or is that not necessarily true for all wide gamut displays?