Nov 2, 2017
Specs:
MSI Z370-A PRO mobo
Intel Core i5-8400 CPU
Palit GTX-1080Ti GPU
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 3000MHz RAM
Corsair VS 650 PSU
Windows 10

Hi, on startup the VGA light (white) on the motherboard comes on, I then get 1 long beep and 2 short beeps which I believe signals a monitor or display card error, the VGA light then switches off. After about 30 seconds I will hear the Windows noise signalling its completed its boot up but there is still no display. I have took out the GPU and used the CPUs integrated graphics, this works with no problem. I also tested the display cables and they work fine. Another observation that may be useful is that the lights and the fans on the GPU do power on. This GPU was previously used for mining for about a year before I purchased it in January and has worked without issue until now, so i'm not sure if it makes sense to have just up and died if its only about 1 and a half years old and hasn't even been strained much. Any ideas would be very much appreciated thanks.

DSzymborski

Titan
Specs:
MSI Z370-A PRO mobo
Intel Core i5-8400 CPU
Palit GTX-1080Ti GPU
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 3000MHz RAM
Corsair VS 650 PSU
Windows 10

Hi, on startup the VGA light (white) on the motherboard comes on, I then get 1 long beep and 2 short beeps which I believe signals a monitor or display card error, the VGA light then switches off. After about 30 seconds I will hear the Windows noise signalling its completed its boot up but there is still no display. I have took out the GPU and used the CPUs integrated graphics, this works with no problem. I also tested the display cables and they work fine. Another observation that may be useful is that the lights and the fans on the GPU do power on. This GPU was previously used for mining for about a year before I purchased it in January and has worked without issue until now, so i'm not sure if it makes sense to have just up and died if its only about 1 and a half years old and hasn't even been strained much. Any ideas would be very much appreciated thanks.

How would you know it wasn't strained much from the year before you purchased it? While smart miners underclock and undervolt their GPUs, there were a lot of miners out there that weren't smart and basically dumped a lot into equipment because they saw Free Money and overclocked their parts to hell.

Unfortunately, you haven't helped matters by powering a GPU that went for over $1000 new with a $30 PSU. You'll definitely have to test the GPU in another rig and trying another PSU may be worthwhile. If not, you'll have to contact Palit, though I wouldn't be optimistic as most companies won't allow RMAs for secondhand GPUs. There are a few that do, for example, EVGA tends to be extremely good at secondhand GPU support, but I don't believe Palit is one of those companies.

And yes, GPUs can just fail after a year and a half. It's the part of a PC that's just about the worst to buy used because the warranty is more important for a GPU than it is for, say, a CPU, which rarely fails on its own accord. It's why I counsel people to never buy a used GPU unless they get a very good price (>40% off what an identical or comparable GPU costs new) and have the budget to just eat the loss if it dies. Used parts without a very good price deduction aren't actually cheaper, you're just paying in risk rather than currency.