ryzen 5 3600
gigabyte b550 gaming x
gigabyte rtx 2070 super
gigabyte 256gb nvme ssd
gigabyte 650w psu
coolermaster ML240
wd 1tb 7200

Issue:
After few minutes after switching on, the display is cut off.
GPU, Cooler, Case fans are spinning fine, power btn led is on, all led's are on, no parts heating, no beeping.
After display goes dark, OS is not running, checked by trying to ssh & telnet after display goes off and it does not works.
Tried re-assembly, jumped reset cmos, re-isntalled OS, removed ssd and only used hdd.
Happening across any os - windows/ubuntu.

What could be the issue - faulty mobo/gpu/psu?

Solution
The first thing I would suspect for "shutdown after a few minutes" when using a liquid cooler would be whether the pump is actually working since a few minutes is roughly what it takes to heat-soak the water block before thermal shutdown under light to moderate load.

jasonf2

Distinguished
It could be a large number of things. On the basic side do you have any overclocks running? If you do set it back to stock. Also stupid question but can you ssh and/or telnet into the box with the monitor working? Neither are enabled by default for remote access in windows and ubuntu has to be setup. Have you tried another monitor, could be a bad backlight converter if machine is still up.

Jun 28, 2021
It could be a large number of things. On the basic side do you have any overclocks running? If you do set it back to stock. Also stupid question but can you ssh and/or telnet into the box with the monitor working? Neither are enabled by default for remote access in windows and ubuntu has to be setup. Have you tried another monitor, could be a bad backlight converter if machine is still up.

Thanks for the reply 🙏

No overclocks. Bios settings set to stock, also tried setting pcie x16 to gen3, gen4 & auto, it does not solves.
ssh ofcourse works when monitor is on 😅. Tried another monitor and it's the same.

Btw i've tested with 2 different LG 27uk650 monitors.

jasonf2

Distinguished
Before I start here make sure to check your error logs. Sometimes faulty hardware leaves some tracks in there. I would also verify your thermals if you can. Beyond that I hate to say this but you are really just in a parts swapping game right now. If you have spares available I would do this one at a time and start with the GPU, RAM, PSU and then motherboard. Not really because of any troubleshooting order or probability, just ease of parts swap, so work with what you have available. My gut is telling me it is either in the GPU, RAM or motherboard but direct diagnosis in your situation is going to be really tough without special equipment. Depending on what you have on the floor for spare parts this is one of those times that taking it into a computer repair shop will more than likely be cheaper than guessing and hoping you get lucky buying parts.

InvalidError

Titan
The first thing I would suspect for "shutdown after a few minutes" when using a liquid cooler would be whether the pump is actually working since a few minutes is roughly what it takes to heat-soak the water block before thermal shutdown under light to moderate load.

Solution
Jun 28, 2021

Just after shutdown I re-start the machine and check temps in bios. The display blacking out is at random time intervals from machine starting. Once display cuts off it nevers comes back. I've once waited 24hrs to see if comes back, but the machine ran fine, fans ran fine, OS was down (coz I could not telnet into it) thus no display.

Don't think cooler pump is culprit, because sometime the machine works fine for hours & sometime display is cutoff at the bios screen during boot up. My best guess is mobo/psu.

PSU is gigabyte p650b, some suggest it's cheap and low quality for the build.

InvalidError

Titan
Don't think cooler pump is culprit, because sometime the machine works fine for hours & sometime display is cutoff at the bios screen during boot up.
The pump could be intermittent, maybe sucking bubbles. While the BIOS may not look like a significant load, you need to keep in mind that the CPU does not have power management enabled at boot for simplicity and stability reasons, so "idle in BIOS" is actually more like single-core full-load.

Jun 28, 2021
I think I've found the root cause. It was faulty PSU. Arranged a corsair 750w 80 gold psu and machine ran perfectly fine, temps were great. Gave the gigabyte p650b for rma. I think I'll sell my PSU and get a better one. Should not have cheaped out on PSU.