Display Cuts Out but Computer Runs in Background

GreenScreenCrash

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016
I've got a computer that has been giving me trouble for the past few months. The problem consists of the monitor randomly cutting out and displaying the message "No Signal" while in use or idling. Despite having no signal processes continue to run in the background (Skype, games, etc) but the display does not return with the only solution being a manual restarting the computer. I've gone through event viewer and have not seen any errors besides the one caused by manually restarting the computer. The problem did not happen for about the first two months after building the computer.

I do not believe that it is a hardware failure as I have tested the CPU, GPU, and RAM and there was no correlation between the crashes and load bearing processes. Additionally I have tested the GPU in another computer and it worked fine. My GPU is an HD 6970 and is currently running Catalyst 15.7.1 drivers but the computer has crashed with various other driver versions as well.

My CPU is a Intel G3258, not overclocked, and have no reason to believe that it is CPU related. I have run it on integrated graphics and the problem did not occur but as said earlier the GPU is known not to be bad.

Is there anything that I should attempt? The only other thing that I can think of is to reinstall windows and hope it works.

Thanks in advance to anyone with input, any help is appreciated.

LucAlvim

Commendable
Jul 4, 2016
Have you checked if there are any problems with the screen? Like: HDMI is not connected properly, cable problems, malfunctioning screen? Problems in the HDMI ports?

GreenScreenCrash

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016

I am currently using a DVI port because my monitor does not have an HDMI port. I have used 2 other monitors one with a HDMI cable and the other DVI but the problem persisted. The cables are secured properly and I used monitors that I am sure work.

LucAlvim

Commendable
Jul 4, 2016

I think something is causing a problem on the ports. Does USB also fail when this happens?

GreenScreenCrash

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016

No, I have a microphone plugged in on a USB port and I can still talk on Skype when the screen disconnects.

LucAlvim

Commendable
Jul 4, 2016

Are you using a HDMI to DVI cable? I have found out that many people have problems with these things.

GreenScreenCrash

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016

No it is just a DVI cable