Mar 15, 2013
Specs: Asus x570 Tuf Gaming edge wi-fi
AMD 3700x
Asrock 5700xt Phantom Gaming GPU
T-Force 3200 16gb Ram
Gameforce 700W PSU
Nixeus edge 34 inch curved monitor
Windows 10 Pro

I put this build together last week and am running into an issue that makes me want to find a high window and chuck the machine out. My display will darken in dim areas and return to normal in a bright environment. This is all based on the brightness of what is on display, not dependant on the brightness or dimness of the real world, only with what is being displayed. This is a desktop not a laptop. I dont know that the GPU is the culprit. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Willing to send a 12 pack of good beer if you can help resolve this issue.

Solution
Go through your monitors OSD settings. Turn off...
  • Dynamic Luminous Control (p.31 Manual)
  • Noise Reduction (p.30 that's TV crap which makes things worse anyway)
  • Dynamic Contrast Ratio (p.18 more TV junk)
  • Low Blue Light (p.25 wonks up colors)

I suspect the Dynamic Luminous Control is the culprit. I'd also get rid of the other stuff as they screw up color accuracy. Personally, I'd also take time to calibrate brightness, contrast, saturation, RGB, sharpness and such manually. As it doesn't sound like they are going for color accuracy on that monitor. More like trying to make colors pop.

James Davis

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2013
Specs: Asus x570 Tuf Gaming edge wi-fi
AMD 3700x
Asrock 5700xt Phantom Gaming GPU
T-Force 3200 16gb Ram
Gameforce 700W PSU
Nixeus edge 34 inch curved monitor
Windows 10 Pro

I put this build together last week and am running into an issue that makes me want to find a high window and chuck the machine out. My display will darken in dim areas and return to normal in a bright environment. This is all based on the brightness of what is on display, not dependant on the brightness or dimness of the real world, only with what is being displayed. This is a desktop not a laptop. I dont know that the GPU is the culprit. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Willing to send a 12 pack of good beer if you can help resolve this issue.

Go through your monitors OSD settings. Turn off...
  • Dynamic Luminous Control (p.31 Manual)
  • Noise Reduction (p.30 that's TV crap which makes things worse anyway)
  • Dynamic Contrast Ratio (p.18 more TV junk)
  • Low Blue Light (p.25 wonks up colors)

I suspect the Dynamic Luminous Control is the culprit. I'd also get rid of the other stuff as they screw up color accuracy. Personally, I'd also take time to calibrate brightness, contrast, saturation, RGB, sharpness and such manually. As it doesn't sound like they are going for color accuracy on that monitor. More like trying to make colors pop.

Solution

James Davis

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2013
I made the changes you suggest but the problem remains. For instance if I am in a dark area of a game, the screen dims even more until you cant barely see anything. When its bright area, it brightens even more. This must be a setting, but for the life of me cant see what it might be.