Question Display doesn't show after turning on New Computer

FireAntX10

Reputable
Oct 17, 2020
So I've built plugged in all the ports on my ASROCK B450M and turned on my new computer. The display isn't showing anything, despite me having a graphics card on the Motherboard.

Case: Cooler Master MasterBox MB600l
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X
PSU: Aresgames 750W Power Supply
RAM: T-Force 16GB DDR4 RAM 3000Mhz
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 550 (2GB)
Cooling Fans: ThermalTake 120mm x 120mm x 25mm (White)
Can anyone identify what the problem is? Please, I've just got this working this an hour before midnight.

Dec 30, 2020
Hello @FireAntX10

of course i can only guess, but if your have every cables plugged in and everything has power, then you could try another monitor?
Did you check if everyhing from cables to parts is plugged in correctly?
Did you put your pc together on your own or is it buyed?

If everything is plugged in correctly, then you could try to clear the CMOS battery on your motherboard. What Motherboard do you have?

JohnnyMaverick

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
The first thing to check is your cable. Try using another video cable.

Also, look at your monitor. Is there an orange light? If so, this indicates that the monitor is receiving power but no video signal. If the light however is blue, that indicates it is receiving both power & video signal. (On some monitors it is a green light). Check your owner's manual.

Dec 30, 2020
"Did you put your pc together on your own or is it buyed?"

If everything is plugged in correctly, then you could try to clear the CMOS battery on your motherboard. What Motherboard do you have?

@Nemesia My monitor's plugged into the GPU, and nothing's still showing on the monitor.

@Leridan: Mobo: ASROCK B450M PRO (AMD)

4-5 days ago i had the same problem. Let me say what fixed it for me. Clearing the CMOS or doing it like me just reflashing bios what as well resets everything.
Yesterday i had this case as well, because i was changing something in my setup.
I just did the same thing as before right of the bat. Cleared CMOS and voilá the display was posting again some image.
Took me 5 minutes.
Before i was tinkering for 2 days before finally finding the answer.

To clear the CMOS of your ASROCK B450M Pro:

"
To clear CMOS:
  • set your PSU switch on 0
  • Hold the power button from your pc about 10 to 20 seconds clicked till you see no more lights turned on, at your motherboard.
  • unplug the power cord from the wall

• plan A - use a jumper, screwdriver (or a coin, or paperclip, etc.) and short the 2 pins as described in the manual; keep it for 10 sec.
  • plan B - with the power cord still unplugged, remove the button (coin) battery; press the power ON button on the PC; hold the power button for 10 sec; release and put back the battery;
"
Some Motherboards need Plan A and Plan B used together to clear the CMOS completely.
And as written before seomtimes it is faster just reflashing your BIOS if your motherboard does support BIOS flashing directly from USB without being able to post a picture.
That should be written in the manual as well.

Link to manual:
ASROCK B450M Pro MANUAL

FireAntX10

Reputable
Oct 17, 2020
After pulling the plug on the power supply, pulling out the Cmos battery, and holding the power for more than 10 seconds before putting the components back, the problem still persists. Where is the 2 pin jack to reset the CMOS on the motherboard?

Dec 30, 2020
Am I supposed to use one of the system jacks (Reset Sw or Power) Sw to reset the CMOS?
Looking at the number 18 you have 2 pins and above CLRCMOS1
both pins.

When using a TV as a PC monitor, you may have to select the correct external input using the TV remote, otherwise TV will not know where video signal is coming from.
But i agree that you could look if you have the right source using at your tv (did forget that you are using a TV)
Anyway if all that doesnÄt help, could you maybe see, if you could organize a PC-Monitor? And maybe another cable? Just to clarify if it isn't an issue in that case?

Dec 30, 2020
If you're not able to see any loading screen or bios then it's probably a graphics card issue or something. Try plugging your monitor into your mobo instead. (might need to take gpu out first)
Didn't you read the op post @adomanimjeokaleo ?

The CPU hasn't any integrated graphicscard.

@Leridan What do I need for the CLRCMOS01 port? A jumper?
@FireAntX10 you can try using a screwdriver or a penny or even a paperclip, something like that but a jumper would be the most safe way to accomplish that.

But anyway did you try another monitor already?

Dec 30, 2020
Here is something interesting what you could try to. Maybe it could be the case at your situation as well :

If the test gpu dosn't work in either pcie slot when you get it, I would say it's the motherboard. However, my money is on the gpu . I had a similar problem as you with my gpu, it wouldnt produce a signal to the monitor. All lights, fans working but no signal. What I did do was replug the pcie power connectors and kind of wiggled them after inserting them, then restarted the computer.. Fixed the problem. You may want to try the same thing.

FireAntX10

Reputable
Oct 17, 2020
The thing is, my gpu is 2GB and lacks a pcie pin connector, and I've tried what you've told me about the CMOS battery. Is it the graphics card itself that's the problem? This is the same problem happened to a computer I frequent at a Best Store: Systems were on, but there was no signal on the display.

TRENDING THREADS