Question Display driver amdkmdap keeps crashing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 30, 2019
So I am posting here since It's been 3 days since I am working on this issue. I am having BSOD after BSOD after BSOD, here are the code of my bsod(s):

-SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
-MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
-KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Here are my specs:

-CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6 cores
-RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 2400 mHz (DISCLAIMER : these are brand new, i had one dead stick so I RMAed it to corsair and they sent me a new kit about a week ago)
-GPU : Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon Rx 580 4Gb
-Mobo : MSI B450I Gaming Plus AC mini ATX
-PSU : SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze Evo Edition
-SSD(on wich the os is installed) : SAMSUNg SSD 850 evo 120 Gb
-Hdd (On wich i installed games to test) : Western Digital Blue 1 TB

Every part is less than 10 months old( invoice to prove it)from a very good and trustable friend, I immediatly noticed that a ram stick was dead. I than used the PC for a whole week on 1 ram stick without any kind of problem than i RMAed it. Ever since, i constantly get BSOD for multiple reason mainly while playing games. Here s is what i tried:

-Switching Graphics card
-Reinstalling OS
-Updated Bios
-Only using 1 RAM stick on either of the slots
-Reinstalled OS again
-Memcheck
-Chkdsk(Altough in the log files it is said to have found corrupt files)

Also when i run sfc /scannow , it says that it found corrupt files but that it couldnt fix them. Here are the module that caused the BSOD:

I am going to be honest, i tried to copy the OS from my old pc to my new with a free online tool (before completely wiping and reinstalling) since the os on the new PC wouldnt even boot(this was after the 1 week prior to the RMA just before RMAing the RAM)

Any help would be immensely appreciated

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2019
I did a reset on the MOBO CMOS to no avail, still get the crash so I will simply RMA my motherboard(wich should take a long ass time) I will give update once I receive it back. I will extensively test my GPU and PSU on another build to make sure that these are OK. Only the CPU will remain untested.

Jul 30, 2019
Well I received a brand new Mobo for my RMA and I STIL GET THE SAME CRASH WITH THE SAME MESSAGE! So right now it is only the cpu that i havent tested/swapped/replaced : -Ive swapped Psu, GPU and HDD Ive replaced RAM and Mobo so I can only guess that the CPU is at fault, is there any way to be ABSOLUTELY sure that the CPU is the problem?

EDIT: I ran Prime95 Torture test all night and I didn't get one single error!

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019
Any news on your end?
I have exactly the same issues.
All those BSODs randomly appearing the moment I log into windows (at times)
All new components so it could be any one of them. your post has helped.

Sep 26, 2019
Update on my end at least:
Reinstalling windows, and restarting the computer every time it tells me when installing drivers seemed to have worked.
I have also disabled RAM XMP and manually applied the correct settings. I think this motherboard might have tried automatically to overclock my Ram from 3200 cl16 to 3200 cl14 and it was causing instability. This was all with XMP enabled.

Jul 30, 2019
Update on my end at least:
Reinstalling windows, and restarting the computer every time it tells me when installing drivers seemed to have worked.
I have also disabled RAM XMP and manually applied the correct settings. I think this motherboard might have tried automatically to overclock my Ram from 3200 cl16 to 3200 cl14 and it was causing instability. This was all with XMP enabled.

XMP was always disabled, and my RAM speed and clock setting are all set to default. I dont have any bsod anymore but the driver amdkmdap will still crash the screen will go black and then recover(randomly when doing normal activities but litterally 5 minutes in whenever I try to game). Im really stuck at a dead end, ive swapped everything that I couldve swapped, did every test, reinstalled windows numerous times. The only things that I notice is when the driver crash, the AMD application wont open anymore and weirdly, my AdBlock on chrome will crash too!

Edit: Well, I uninstalled my driver with DDU in safe mode and then reinstalled the new version of the amd driver and all seems to work. I wouldnt put my life on it, but I tested it/gamed for 4 hour straight and no crash. I can't remember it running that long without crashing since that bug appeared. Maybe it was a faulty version of AMD driver for my rig mixed with something else.

Second edit: NVM, it crashed again while running 3d mark

Last edited: