Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered. win10 Fortnite

Mar 26, 2018
Whenever I'm playing Fortnite - Battle Royale after playing some matches the game will instantly freeze at a random point of gameplay and then the screen becomes black and the games crashes to desktop and then when I open the event viewer to see what caused the game failure or anything else I'm getting this error : Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered. I can mention that recently (like half year or almost a year ago I switched my graphics card from a 2gb card to this Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX470 4GB GDDR5 and I had 8 memory ram and my father added to me 2 more sticks of 4x2 DDR3 they are the same brand as the others.
My system specs are:
CPU: Intel Core i5 4690-3.5Ghz 3501Mhz 4 Cores
GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX470 4GB GDDR5
RAM: 16GB DDR3
My PSU wattage is 520
Windows 10 64x bits
Mother board is - Gigabyte Technology H97-HD3
I have done many troubleshoots:

I have uninstalled my drivers and then reinstalled to the latest driver and then uninstalled again (didn't help) then installed the recommended driver amd suggested to me (didn't work as well)

I have added a file to the registry like a TdrDelay and set it to 8 something like that. (didn't work brought me a whole new error "Application has been blocked from accessing graphis hardware)

Tried to run the game in compatibility for windows 7, 8 etc.. didn't work
I have checked if my card is badly overclocked (which is not)
Some people offered me to remove sticks of ram from the pc itself and then check if the problem goes away and I didn't do it because of the fact that I'm afraid to cause a problem to my computer this problem is so annoying and I'm frustrated (I was thinking about maybe selling parts of the computer and then ending with the gaming world for now :(
if you have any solutions for me please please please write them down in the comment section, Thanks.

Brandon G

Reputable
Jun 16, 2015
Hey man, did you ever figure this out?

I am getting the same thing on my new Asus Strix RX 570. What I experience is, in this case, I will hear an audible "sharp but quick crashing" sound through speakers, monitors will say there is no connection and go to sleep mode, PC, fans, and RGB will stay on, yet the Asus Strix GPU's little ROG RGB will turn white and the keyboard and mouse will not be responsive.. aka can't wake up the screens. The power button wont even work to hold and reset. I have to turn it off at the PSU's I/O switch, wait 5 seconds to drain power, then turn back on.

This will happen within minutes of waking the PC, with little to no load on the CPU/GPU/RAM. Just a sharp crash sound, montiors black, and PC on but frozen up.

Event Viewer has this error each time, "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered"

Then this also will happen, I'm playing Final Fantasy 15 and the screen will "crash" to a windowed grey screen. I hear the music of the game still. I have to open Task Manager then Force it to close the game. Not sure if this is related.

I did the TDR to 8 thing it crashed, I uninstalled Asus Aura, it crashed. I uninstalled CAM, it crashed. I unclocked the CPU (from a mild 3.5Ghz), it crashed. I rolled back the latest Radeon driver, it crashed and said I need to update that driver. I ran the Windows built in driver tester thing, it crashed due to Corsair's Utility (for my mouse), I uninstalled that, PC crashed.

I reinstalled windows last night. Haven't tested it yet.

Also, the GPU worked fine for about a week after I got it, now this.

Ryzen 5 1600
NZXT Kraken X42 AiO
Asus Strix B350 - Gaming Mobo
G. Skill Trident RGB - 3000Mhz 2x8GB
Asus Strix RX 570 OC 4GB
Antec HCG 620 watt
Hyper X Savage 240GB SSD - Windows 10
Toshiba HDD 1TB
G.Skill Ripjaws M.2 120GB SSD

NZXT Hue+ with 3 RGB Aer fans
NZXT Fan controller V2

lmsrcmig06

Reputable
Jan 5, 2017
Sorry, but this is a rare but annoying problem that's NOT (most of the times) caused by hardware, but simply software problems like bad drivers, incompatibility, etc. I have the same problem with my MSI Armor RX 480 Armor 8 GB OC and I already know it's not a hardware problem due to multiple software/hardware testings/swaps. It's a driver problem and there's nothing that can fix everyone's problem. I've tried of everything, including swaping out hardware, but the problem remains, wich means it's a software problem for me. I've also tried of everything on the software side to no avail, so your only solution is to buy a Nvidia GPU, wich is sad... I'm sorry for you and I hope our problem gets fixed... Try yesterdays 19.7.3 drivers, maybe?