Question Display Driver Crashes When In Inventory/Map Screen on Witcher 3

ohgoditschris1

Commendable
Sep 4, 2021
need some help with this annoying problem. I have an RTX 3080 playing at 4K Max Settings sometimes during gameplay when i go to view the Inventory/Map the Display Driver Crashes.
Ive used DDU twice and Installed the latest NVIDIA drivers checked temperatures ive tried almost everything. I have a good power supply a Seasonic GX-1000w so its not a power problem either in fact i used a Corsair RM850x and had the same problem. I use two seperate PCIe Cables so no Daisy Chaining the card is getting full power.

On a Side Note i do notice the XP Bar in Inventory Menu Flickers. Not sure what thats about either. and no nothings Overclocked

I noticed when i apply "Preferred Maximum Performance in the NVIDIA Control Panel for Witcher 3 it seems to be Stable in the Inventory Menu at 1755mhz where as before when set to Default which is "Optimal" It would go down to around 300mhz-500mhz range then the Driver would Crash. So now im guessing the problem happens when the card goes into a lower power state when in the Inventory Menu

I've heard of this before.
When you go to menu your FPS can skyrocket to over a thousand because the CPU/sGPUs work is minimal. Even though the work is minimal, immediately jumping to over a thousand FPS will change the whole power delivery/power usage of the GPU - possibly hitting some limitation of a component.

Try limitinhg your FPS in the NVIDIA software (or third-party software) to 200 (or something like that) and let us know how it goes.

ohgoditschris1

Commendable
Sep 4, 2021
I've heard of this before.
When you go to menu your FPS can skyrocket to over a thousand because the CPU/sGPUs work is minimal. Even though the work is minimal, immediately jumping to over a thousand FPS will change the whole power delivery/power usage of the GPU - possibly hitting some limitation of a component.

Try limitinhg your FPS in the NVIDIA software (or third-party software) to 200 (or something like that) and let us know how it goes.

I play at 4K 60hz and i have Vsync on in game. The game has a built in FPS Limiter. 30-60-Unlimited. I have it set to 60fps with vsync but the Driver Crashes still happen. At the moment ive set the game to Preferred Maximum Performance in the Nvidia Control Panel Profile so in game right now in the Inventory Screen its running at 1755mhz Locked. The problem seems to be happen when i use the Default Power Mode in the NVIDIA Control Panel which is "Optimal" thats whats causing my display driver to crash on Witcher 3. Its happens when the card clocks down to its 2D Perfomance Mode thats usually when the Driver would crash buts fine during gameplay. So it leads me to speculate if my 3080 has a power issue going on with it.

ohgoditschris1

Commendable
Sep 4, 2021
Very possible. Although it doesn't seem to be the transient power spike causing issues with the 3080 and faster cards.
Are you able to loop Unigine Valley? How about Furmark?

I can run 3DMark Firestrike i ran it twice yesterday and it didnt crash or anything. Its Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 when the issue exposes itself

ohgoditschris1

Commendable
Sep 4, 2021
Very possible. Although it doesn't seem to be the transient power spike causing issues with the 3080 and faster cards.
Are you able to loop Unigine Valley? How about Furmark?

https://snipboard.io/bNH8u0.jpg

ignore the date and time down the bottom right but this is usually what it comes up with in my Event Viewer when the Display Driver Crashes on Witcher 3 in the Inventory Screen

Try adjusting the power
I can run 3DMark Firestrike i ran it twice yesterday and it didnt crash or anything. Its Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 when the issue exposes itself
Try letting Unigine Valley (max settings) loop for 30+ mins. Also, please list full system specs. Single runs of FS may not trigger the issue.
There's a known issue with the OCP on some Seasonic PSUs and 3080/3090 GPUs but you say the same thing happened with the Corsair RMX, so it's not that.

Are you running any mods in TW3 and CP2077? Have you tried a full reinstall (with deleting directories)?

ohgoditschris1

Commendable
Sep 4, 2021
Try adjusting the power

Try letting Unigine Valley (max settings) loop for 30+ mins. Also, please list full system specs. Single runs of FS may not trigger the issue.
There's a known issue with the OCP on some Seasonic PSUs and 3080/3090 GPUs but you say the same thing happened with the Corsair RMX, so it's not that.

Are you running any mods in TW3 and CP2077? Have you tried a full reinstall (with deleting directories)?
Try adjusting the power

what ive done today as a test ive Undervolted my RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra via MSI Afterburner. .875mv @ 1920mhz via the Curve Editor and ive manually changed the Fan Curve so it increases the Fan Speeds on the Card when it hits around 60-70c to keep the temperatures down. so far it looks its stabilized the crashing but i still got a lot of testing to do need to try to play for 2 hours and keep going in and out the Inventory just to test it. Before my Temperatures in Witcher 3 while playing at 4K Maximum Settings the Temperature would hit around 78c Max. im not entirely sure if its a heating issue with the card aswell. I think its Thermal Throttling though because i notice the core clocks go down to around 1875mhz and kind of Fluctuates.

Ive sort of chalked it down to my XC3 Model being known to get pretty hot under load. I was tempted to Reapply the Thermal Paste but i dont want to risk losing Warranty on the card. Ill do some testing tonight. my Case is a Corsair 220T RGB so its got 3 Fans at the front and one at the back. and i use an H100x Liquid Cooler for my 10900k CPU.

Here is my system specs below.

CPU: i9-10900k
Cooler: Corsair H100x Liquid Cooler
GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
MOBO: MSI Z490 Tomahawk
RAM: 32GB DDR4 (3600mhz) CL16
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX 1000w
SSD: 1TB NVME (OS Drive)
HDD 1: 2TB Seagate Barracuda
HDD 2: 8TB Seagate Ironwolf

If I couldn't run a GPU, at stock, for any length of time, I would call it defective. The undervolting proves that it's something with the card, if your results hold true.
GPU prices will continue to fall so I wouldn't worry about 'missing out' on getting a 3080. Return it and get one that will at least run stock voltage/speeds in TW3.