Question Display driver for changed display on HP Elitebook G3 Laptop ?

May 11, 2023
I purchased a second hand HP Elitebook G3 core i5 laptop 2 years ago. Afterwards I had to have the screen replaced and the technician told me he replaced it using a second hand Dell FHD display. Most recently I have changed motherboard and upgraded the processor from core i5 to core i7-6600. I just installed Windows 11 and will install Ubuntu too.

My questions are...
  1. Do I need to manually install drivers for my system?
  2. How can I find and install driver for the display when I am using HP motherboard but using a Dell (according to the technician) display?
  3. I know HP provides drivers in their website but aren't those drivers outdated as I see the drivers are almost 5 to 6 years older ?
Thanks a lot for your help. :giggle:

Lutfij

Titan
Do I need to manually install drivers for my system?
You stated that the motherboard was changed, do you know what laptop the board was salvaged from? Using that info/serial number/SKU for the laptop, you should use that to input on HP's support page. Should bring up a bespoke page for the drivers.

I know HP provides drivers in their website but aren't those drivers outdated as I see the drivers are almost 5 to 6 years older ?
If the drivers for the motherboard you swapped out are 5~6 years old then that's how it is. 6th Gen Intel is 7 Generations behind what we currently have on the market so I'm not sure what other kind of support you'd be expecting from dated hardware.

Reactions: shrafibd