Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered

Scapino

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
I would like to start with the fact that I am new here. I am not a computer expert but I get by.

Recently I have been having an issue with the computer "hanging" for 5-10 seconds over several minutes and getting the error message "Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered" the screen will go black for 3-4 seconds and come back but continue to hang. It only happens when I go online. Boot up is fine and running applications seem fine as well. I have tried Firefox and IE. I do play games online and dont seem to have an issue there either.

There are several post online and many different answers but none seem to work so I am turning to the experts.

I have a Vostro 230 duel core
Windows 7 32bit
4gb ram ddr3
Asus 5670 Referb I got 4 months ago (W & W/O CCC 12-3)
Also tried my old 7900GS
Blue Star 650W also 4 months old

All drivers up to date.
All software up to date.
All Windows update up to date.
Turned off TDR as per some suggestions.
I have run chkdsk
CCleaner for reg errors
Driver sweep
I am virus and malware free
GPU-Z showed both graphics cards well below temp problems.
All fans working as well.
Re install Both browsers
Safe mode does not help either
Im sure there is more i have done but cant think now.

None of this has solved the problem. Any thoughts are most appreciated.

Scapino

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Thanks for the fast reply.

I used the dell tool you suggested and the only thing it for was an update to the bios (not sure how I didnt have it)

I also ran the dell pc check up and all parts passed.

According to device manager my 5670 has the most recent driver. As I thought it might be the 5670 before I swapped it for the 7900 and I still had my old drivers from when it was installed before and according to device manager it too has the most recent driver. I also went a step further and went down to the integrated chip but still had the same problem. Device manager also has it as the most recent driver.

If it was a driver problem with my 5670 it should work fine under the 7900 or even the integrated wouldnt it?

Any other thoughts?

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
the 7900 need at least a 400 watts,did you plug the power on the 7900gs card ,also if you use the geforce remove the ati driverand do the same if you use the ati remove the geforce driver when both are on at the same time they could cause conflict between them so the os give a error on driver

gene_11

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
ive had been to this kind issue before!! how old is the card bro, my card was from nvidia but i think its worth a try, do you overclock cos high clock can cause this, even aging vram, give it a shot try to lower your clock lower than stock lets see if it solves you issue

Scapino

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Put the 5670 back in and 650w psu. I removed the old nvidia drivers with driver sweep.

I do not overclock.

Is this a mobo issue? Its not that old 2 years tops. It passed dell pc check up.

I am at a loss.....

gene_11

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
did u try onother vc? if the problem is still there maybe the board is faulty, but how bout the rams? if u have 2 modules try using 1 , then other if trouble still there. or maybe a bios update will help

Scapino

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
If VC means video card then yes I have.

I do have the old ram from when I upgraded that I can try but the ram did pass a pc check up.

I just upgraded to the latest bios and no change.

Any other ideas out there????

Scapino

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
I ran a program called OCCT that monitors temps and voltage. All the temps very fine not sure how to read the voltage.

While I was running another program I got the dreaded BSOD.

Going to try going back to old PUS with integrated graphics and wipe all video drivers and see what I get.

Anybody else got any suggestions???? I am really struggling to come up with any more.

Scapino

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
So in doing one of many random test I was getting mixed information on my network card. I then tried uninstalling and restarting. Since I have not internet when I restart (due to the comp having to install the new hardware) the problem does not start. Everything seems great and I can use a the internet w/o any problems. However when I again restart the problem comes back. I have done this several times now and all have resulted in the same outcome.

1 time I did get a BSOD leading to: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/080b178d-5633-4bd1-8746-b442fcdc3851.aspx
But it only happened once.

I search long and hard and did find a driver update for my card but it did not solve the problem.

This leads me to believe my on-board network card has gone bad. I currently have a Broadcom Netlink Gigabit.
I do not have another card to test this so I guess I need to get 1.

Any thoughts?

Are all network cards the same? I know 10/100/1000 are now the standard but that is as much as I know.

Any advice or recommended cards are appropriated.