Display driver keeps crashing!

Classic_Conroc

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
Every time i play a game after about 20 minutes the game will force close to my desktop with the error "display driver nvidia windows kernel mode driver stopped responding version 353.06" i have never had this problem before and it only started thursday.

Specs:
GPU: GeForce GTX 770
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670k CPU @ 3.40GHZ
Memory: 8.00 GB RAM (7.88 usable)
Current resolution: 1920x1080, 59Hz
Driver version: 353.06
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1

not sure if this is relevent or not...
v8NbZTP.png

Did the problem start about the same time you installed the new drivers, or were they working fine with them previously?

What is the brand and model number of your power supply? Sounds like it might be due to an overheating, underpowered or simply poor quality PSU.

. Downoad HWinfo, which is a much better utility and is more accurate than HWmonitor or Open Hardware monitor, run "sensors only" and take the three screenshots necessary to capture all sensors then post them here.

It would be helpful if you could post both idle and load sensor readings, so that's probably six screenshots. That might just be a faulty reading on that last temperature, but lets make sure. Some sensors are not accurately read by monitoring hardware so I wouldn't stress too much on it just yet until we determine if it's a real temperature reading or not. Usually those are motherboard sensors that give erroneous readings or are misread, but if it's accurate it's likely a result of a very hot VRM sensor or something related.

Please also list your PSU and motherboard model numbers.

Classic_Conroc

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
I've had my computer for about a year and a half now and i've never had this problem it just started happening out of the blue on thursday. i have a Seasonic 750V Gold power supply and a msi Z87-G45 gaming motherboard. ill post the screenshots soon.

I would not be at all surprised if it was the board itself. I've seen a LOT of issues with gaming hardware on the G45. Lets see the screenshots while under gaming load. Give it maybe ten minutes or however long you think you can get. Have HWinfo running simultaneously and snap a shot before or as soon as it starts showing any signs of trouble.

Classic_Conroc

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
Unfortunately the game doesn't show signs of slowing down it just crashes when it feels like it. however won't the in the above screenshots under the Maximum row be the numbers show while in game? if it isn't i can just play for like ten minutes like you said and take some screenshots.

Well, on a positive note, your voltages and temperatures look good. I'd pretty well guarantee that the 117°C reading is an erroneous reading. We see those all the time on certain hardware versions.

I'd update your motherboard bios if it isn't on the most current release. Could be faulty temperature table.

What does concern me is the fact that you're at VERY high physical and virtual memory use. I wouldn't be surprised if you were running out of memory. Virtual memory is showing an 80% usage and physical memory is showing 71% usage. That's extremely high and shouldn't be anywhere near that. Your virtual memory settings seem a little bit low as far as what's allocated. Do you have the page file manually set? I'd set it to 256 minimum and 16GB maximum, for the time being.

I don't see any way you should be using almost 8GB of RAM just for a game. Do you have a LOT of other stuff running at the same time as your game and at what resolution and on how many monitors are you gaming?

Are you having this issue on any other games, or just this one game?

G

Okay so I have the same exact problem as you and I had the same issue even with the driver before that. Let me cut to the chase and tell you that this is NOT your system...I did a clean windows reinstall today to try and fix this and guess what....still getting display driver crashes.

Unless you also have the EXACT same hardware with the EXACT same programs installed, what YOUR system does or did is probably not relevant to this members issues. If you DO have the exact same motherboard, cpu, graphics card, memory and drives, and have had the exact same problem on the exact same game title, THEN it might be.

Classic_Conroc

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
when i play ANY game i have skype and steam open. i have one monitor at 1920x1080 resolution. i've only tested this with Rust and Saint Row 4. both games due crash to desktop after about 30mins of gameplay. i will try more games in the mean time and update you.

Do you have the page file manually set? I'd set it to 256 minimum and 16GB maximum, for the time being

i have two drives a C: driver which has my OS and a T: driver for everything else what one do i want to set?

NOTE i set my C: drive to 400mb min and 16000mb max.

I'd recommend setting it to 256mb minimum and 16GB maximum, on whichever of the two drives is faster. If they are both the same speed, I'd disable paging on the C:/ drive and set the above specs on the other one. It's always better to have it on a non-OS drive when possible so page file data doesn't have to wait on other data being accessed on the OS drive before it can be accessed.

In reality, with 8GB of RAM, you should be able to turn OFF the page file and still not be running out of physical memory. I've never approached the physical and virtual memory loads you're showing with any game, but I also don't Skype. Skype in itself is FULL of issues and bugs, and I think there is a memory leak on some versions of it. Make sure you have the most recent version of Skype installed. I'd also try the game WITHOUT Skype running to see if it's relevant and check your memory usage without it open as well, under the same circumstances as we saw above, to see if that's what's eating memory.

It's sounding more and more like a bad card. Double check the fan profile for the GPU and make sure you're getting full cooling. See that any GPU fans are working and speed up when you increase the fan profile. Make sure you have plenty of case cooling via the case fans. Is your card overclocked at all?

Classic_Conroc

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
i have a very good case with lots of fans and many air ways. i don't think my card is overclocked, if it is i would have bought it like that. and i mean its 1.5 years old and i haven't had any problems with it so idk whats wrong with it if its a physic problem.

Simply put. Hardware fails. Often. I probably see twenty or more cards a day on this forum alone that were working fine the day before or were faulty right out of the box. It just happens. Could be it was used with a crappy PSU for a while which damaged it prior to having a good power supply or any number of reasons. Sometimes the VRAM on the cards fails just like normal RAM sometimes fails. Doesn't mean that IS the case, just that it's a possibility.

Hardware doesn't always have to be old to fail. The card wouldn't be overclocked unless you overclocked it. Aside from the factory overclock on some cards, which isn't a consideration, you would have to use a third party utility like MSI Afterburner or something similar to overclock it, so if you didn't, then it isn't.

When did you update to the 353.06 drivers and was it having this issue even before updating to those drivers?

TRENDING THREADS