[SOLVED] display driver nvlddmkm keeps crashing

refmon

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
Hello,

I've had this 1080ti FTW3 and my my Evga 750w G2 80+ Gold psu for two years without problems. I got a new mobo and a ryzen 3600 back in july and again no problem. Now suddenly I can't play a game for 5 minutes without getting that error and crashing.

Strangely when it crashes my display goes black but I can still hear the audio and my inputs for a bit. As soon as it crashes my gpu fans also start running at 100% until I hit restart. My gpu temp stays at 60C in game so I have no idea why the fans start doing that.

I rolled back to old graphics drivers and windows version and ran memtest86 and sfc /scannow but it hasn't helped.

I ran a hwinfo64 log just before I crashed and this is what I got for 12V, 5V stayed at 5.07

View: https://imgur.com/LldKfJJ

Solution
I would try maybe restoring Windows to factory settings, that MIGHT fix the issue but tbh I doubt it. The reason why I am suggesting first is because the second options is a little more hands on and may require some work so it doesn't hurt to try. If you try the factory reset and it doesn't work then it kind of sounds like the GPU's thermal paste could be bad (despite the constant 60c) and the computer is crashing to prevent further damage, maybe try pulling the card out and checking to see if the thermal paste is still intact on the chip itself.

Refer to this thread to understand a little bit more about the issue, one of the comments states that the temps were constant when the issue was happening but he changed the thermal paste...

TheComputerNerd

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2012
I would try maybe restoring Windows to factory settings, that MIGHT fix the issue but tbh I doubt it. The reason why I am suggesting first is because the second options is a little more hands on and may require some work so it doesn't hurt to try. If you try the factory reset and it doesn't work then it kind of sounds like the GPU's thermal paste could be bad (despite the constant 60c) and the computer is crashing to prevent further damage, maybe try pulling the card out and checking to see if the thermal paste is still intact on the chip itself.

Refer to this thread to understand a little bit more about the issue, one of the comments states that the temps were constant when the issue was happening but he changed the thermal paste and it ended up fixing the problem.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/898055-black-screen-gpu-fans-at-full-speed-crash-fixed/

Solution