[SOLVED] "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" (not caused by GPU) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 30, 2022
Ever since about a month ago, I've had errors such as "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered "

• I've used DDU multiple times and it didn't work.
  • I've rolled back drivers, didn't work.
  • Check temps, undervolted, didn't work.
  • Tried using 1 stick of ram at a time and still didn't work.
  • I even got a new motherboard, power supply, AIO and case and it still didn't fix it.

I've tried most things that come up when I search this error.
The GPU works fine on another computer without crashing. (It ran 3dmark, unigene valley, GTA 5 and more without crashing while all those things crash on mine)
(Also running on Windows 10)

Specs:
5600X
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
Asus Strix X570-I
Corsair SF750 PSU
NZXT Kraken X63
Patriot Viper Steel 2x8 16GB 4400Mhz (running at 3600) ram
970 evo plus 500gb (Main)
860 evo 1tb (games)
MX500 1tb (games)

Colif

Win 11 Master
what USB devices do you have? Are any of them old? had any problems with any? strange disconnections?

I had similar before, the GPU might be a victim, not cause. Its possible a USB device is tripping it over. All USB and WIFI adapters and GPU all run by same chip on MB so if one is playing up, it can cause others to fall over.

I even got a new motherboard, power supply, AIO and case and it still didn't fix it.
ouch but at least that means they aren't cause. its something you haven't replaced.

I had my GPU crashing randomly for about 4 months, I even had PC looked at by repair store and they found nothing... which meant it was something they didn't have. Could say luckily for me my mouse started to die soon after and show it was cause. I was sad. It had been a good mouse.

what it would do was try to restart drivers 8 or so times and when it failed, swap to basic display drivers that didn't work well with my 4k monitor and I would get no signal errors on monitor.

We threw everything we could at it but it wasn't a software problem

Last edited:
May 30, 2022
what USB devices do you have? Are any of them old? had any problems with any? strange disconnections?

I had similar before, the GPU might be a victim, not cause. Its possible a USB device is tripping it over. All USB and WIFI adapters and GPU all run by same chip on MB so if one is playing up, it can cause others to fall over.

I had my GPU crashing randomly for about 4 months, I even had PC looked at by repair store and they found nothing... which meant it was something they didn't have. Could say luckily for me my mouse started to die soon after and show it was cause. I was sad. It had been a good mouse.

The only USB connections I have are my Model D- which is only 1.5 months old, my Logitech G Pro which is about 1.5 years old and my HyperX Cloud II which is about 2 years old. I’ll try disconnecting one at a time and see if that fixes anything

Colif

Win 11 Master
Patriot Viper Steel 2x8 16GB 4400Mhz (running at 3600) ram
970 evo plus 500gb (Main)
860 evo 1tb (games)
MX500 1tb (games)
only parts you didn't replace.
I would be surprised if running ram slower would trip up a GPU
and all you have left is storage... it would be a first for me if it was a drive. It is always possible??

It might be anything you plug in. Maybe even speakers. USB WIFI Adapters as well.

May 30, 2022
and all you have left is storage... it would be a first for me if it was a drive. It is always possible??

It might be anything you plug in. Maybe even speakers. USB WIFI Adapters as well.

The 970 evo plus is a few years old but still has 91% health, the 860 evo is about a year and has 99% life left and the MX500 is about 1.5 months old,
I forgot to put this in the main post, but about 3 - 4 days after I put the MX500 in, this issue started appearing but I had also gotten my Model D- around that time. Unplugging the model d- made it go for about 25 minutes before crashing with the same error so I don't think its USB's. The ram also isn't too old only being almost a year old.

May 30, 2022
try unplugging the MX500 and see if it still happens.
I've unplugged it and it ran a stress test for about 50 minutes before I turned it off compared to 5 - 10 minutes before crashing when it was plugged in, I'll try some games that it crashed on tomorrow and see if those also go better.

Colif

Win 11 Master

Colif

Win 11 Master
It sure looks like its faulty. Its possibly a physical fault and might not show on the testing software.
I have to guess you didn't use the same sata cable in 2 different motherboards?

May 30, 2022
It sure looks like its faulty. Its possibly a physical fault and might not show on the testing software.
I have to guess you didn't use the same sata cable in 2 different motherboards?

Nevermind, it still crashes even with it unplugged, I think I will just do a fresh windows install which is something I didn't really want to have to do.

May 30, 2022
GPU still crashing?

Have you tested the boot drive?
try running magician on the 2 samsung drives.. = https://semiconductor.samsung.com/consumer-storage/support/tools/

Wonder if running Prime 95 would show us anything, since CPU also hasn't been replaced.
download - https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/prime95-download.html
Prime 95 how to Guide: http://www.playtool.com/pages/prime95/prime95.html

I tried windows on another SSD (SU650) and it still crashed
How long should I leave the stress test going for?

May 30, 2022
Prime: I would have run it over night (I really should remember to say that)
results of test are in a file called stress.txt in folder Prime is installed in.

I left it for about 7 hours on and it was still going when I got back, there aren't any errors in the results or stress files. I've put some other ballistix ram my brother had in and i'll see if it still crashes

May 30, 2022
I left it for about 7 hours on and it was still going when I got back, there aren't any errors in the results or stress files. I've put some other ballistix ram my brother had in and i'll see if it still crashes

GTA Ran for about 4 hours with no crashes with a different kit in, I'm pretty sure my ram was dying or something (I did try 1 stick of the broken kit at a time and in different slots but it still crashed)

Reactions: Colif
Status
Not open for further replies.