Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Lambetts

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
Hi guys,

I know this has been asked but I have been searching for months on heaps of forums and cannot seem to solve this issue.

I have a new build, no cheap mish mash of components and I have this error on only 2 titles.

PUBG
Overwatch

So, one title is at one end of the scale being basically alpha and I would understand if it was just that but Overwatch is a AAA, highly optimized title that I get this error after or within 2 rounds.

So, I have tried;

1. Using DDU to uninstall old drivers and installing the latest Nvidia drivers, one back, the first one released for my card and one about 6 to 7 months ago. So, latest, one back, first and one in the middle...this should be enough to see if its just an unstable driver.

2. Testing my RAM, using one stick at a time then 2 then all in all different DIMM slots.

3. Returned to the shop I bought the hardware from and they tested the card in another machine and it was fine. Just the card though at this stage.

4. Re installed Windows 10 and only installed MINIMUM drivers (Chip-set, Audio and Graphics)

5. Changing my TDR timeout (extending and turned it off completely) Extending it did not help and if I turn it off the system completely freezes and I have to reset.

6. Tried countless options in Nvidia Control Panel (stock as installed and other settings that Nvidia has informed me to use) Yes, I have contacted Nvidia and of course, they aren't familiar with the error ALTHOUGH I've seen it ALL over the web.

If I think back on it, this build may have been having this issue since the begging, hence why I think its a hardware issue. Still very confusing that only 2 titles have the problem though. Played other titles (DOOM, Witcher 3 etc) and no issues. No temp issues or anything like that.

I'll post my build and just maybe theirs something I've missed OR, someone can tell me yeah, its hardware. Woth a shot. lol.

Thanks in advance guys!

i7-6700K
Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z170X
32GB (8x4) Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400
Gigabyte G1 Gaming 1070 (8GB)
Samsung Pro 850 256GB SSD
Corsair Hydro H80i Liquid Cooler
2 x 2TB Western Digital Blacks
Corsair RM750i 80Plus Power Supply

Thanks again!!

Solution
well, if the 570 works, and the 1070 doesn't, then it kinda leans to the 1070 being the issue. So tell gigabyte you've tried another card, it works fine and you want to RMA the 1070.

Regarding the hardware store. Some are reputable others not so much. Forgive my cynical nature, but I often think that those store persons just want you to buy new hardware, no matter what. After all it's in their interest to sell you something new. When going to a hardware store, I always know what I want before I go in, and have an understanding of my needs. SO when they spout off with I need this or that, Ill just tell them to go away, and Ill sort it myself.

Just do a ctrl+prtsc to get a screen capture, the next time it crashes with the message up...
yeah, not an isolated issue. Ive seen it many times, even on Tom's forums.

You have a nice powerful system, with some really good components.

Have you tried the most obvious thing and put in another GPU? Preferably another Nvidia one. Not suggesting you buy one, but perhaps a friend might lend you one for the purpose of testing. If that card had the same issues as your 1070, then you know it's something other than the GPU. There isn't much point in using the IGPU as it will obviously not use the same driver, and give the same crash. Thats why I suggest seeing if you can get another Nvidia GPU to try.

Lambetts

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
Well guys...I'm a little confused.

I had my old 570 OC that I did't try as, the shop 'said' that they put my card into a test rig and it was fine....

So I thought about what keith12 said and installed the 570 OC, installed drivers for it (latest Nvidia, uninstalled old ones with DDU first) and played a round of pubg with NO crashes....WTF???? Are these guys lying to me or what could cause them to have it run in another machine fine and not in mine then I put this card in and its ok??

I thought about the resitting to, the cards been removed and out back say 3 times now so, I'm doubtful of that. I really still appreciate your reply though thank you!

Now if it is the card, my supplier wont replace it unless they can see the issue....

well, if the 570 works, and the 1070 doesn't, then it kinda leans to the 1070 being the issue. So tell gigabyte you've tried another card, it works fine and you want to RMA the 1070.

Regarding the hardware store. Some are reputable others not so much. Forgive my cynical nature, but I often think that those store persons just want you to buy new hardware, no matter what. After all it's in their interest to sell you something new. When going to a hardware store, I always know what I want before I go in, and have an understanding of my needs. SO when they spout off with I need this or that, Ill just tell them to go away, and Ill sort it myself.

Just do a ctrl+prtsc to get a screen capture, the next time it crashes with the message up. Then paste it to your ticket for the RMA process. With a $500 card, you should demand they send you a new one. It must surely be still under warranty.

Solution