Question Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

refmon

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
Hello,

I've had this 1080ti FTW3 for two years without problems. I got a new mobo and a ryzen 3600 back in july and again no problem. Now suddenly I can't play a game for 5 minutes without getting that error and crashing. I rolled back to old graphics drivers and windows version but it hasn't helped.

Not sure what else to do here

this error also pops up

Faulting application name: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.18362.329, time stamp: 0xd71652ca

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0xe0464645

Fault offset: 0x0000000000000000

Faulting process id: 0x255c

Faulting application start time: 0x01d584b0e713b2e7

Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\dwm.exe

Faulting module path: unknown

Report Id: 218a45e4-6e62-4bf4-9d2f-9ac2e285f86a

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

refmon

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
The dwm.exe is the OS files, you may try to use the " SFC".
SFC ( System file check ) https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...em-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

Also use the " reliability monitor tool " to see you get something or not. https://www.howtogeek.com/166911/re...windows-troubleshooting-tool-you-arent-using/

SFC said it didn't find anything wrong or corrupted. I will use the monitor tool when I get home but the only thing I installed in changed in the last two weeks were bios and graphics updates. I'm also wondering if the dwm.exe error is causing the nvlddmkm crashing in the first place.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
At least it recovers. If it doesn't recover it swaps to basic drivers and often they can't power screen and turn it off instead. I had a problem like that, which took several months to work out and the cause wasn't obvious. It wasn't the GPU or its drivers.

I'm also wondering if the dwm.exe error is causing the nvlddmkm crashing in the first place.

No, its more likely Nvidia drivers crashing WIndows Desktop Manager, not the other way around. I wouldn't use the latest drivers with a 1080ti, I have seen other people with problems associated with all the drivers since August.

refmon

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
stick with 1 thread
Hello,

I've had this 1080ti FTW3 for two years without problems. I got a new mobo and a ryzen 3600 back in july and again no problem. Now suddenly I can't play a game for 5 minutes without getting that error and crashing.

When it crashes my display goes black but I can still hear the audio and my inputs for a bit. As soon as it crashes my gpu fans also start running at 100% until I hit restart. My gpu temp stays at 60C in game so I have no idea why the fans start doing that.

I rolled back to old graphics drivers and windows version but it hasn't helped.

refmon

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
At least it recovers. If it doesn't recover it swaps to basic drivers and often they can't power screen and turn it off instead. I had a problem like that, which took several months to work out and the cause wasn't obvious. It wasn't the GPU or its drivers.

No, its more likely Nvidia drivers crashing WIndows Desktop Manager, not the other way around. I wouldn't use the latest drivers with a 1080ti, I have seen other people with problems associated with all the drivers since August.

What turned out to be problem for you? It doesn't actually recover for me when it crashes. That's just the error message I get when I check event viewer.

Ralston18

Titan
What error? Did you post an error code or a link to some screen image? Did not appear with your post.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings just before or at the time of the crashes.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

What PSU is installed: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

computerfreek

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2012
Not to jump in on someone post here.. But I'm having the same problem.

Windows 10
i7 4960x
SLI 980's
1200 Watt PSU (New because I thought it was the issue)

The system will be in a game and then all of a sudden the screen will go black. Sometimes I get an error in event viewer, sometimes I don't.

Most of the time if I get an error its for that specific application or sometimes I will get: Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

This all started about 4 updates ago... Not sure if its the same. But I wanted to share that your not alone!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Not to jump in on someone post here.. But I'm having the same problem.

Windows 10
i7 4960x
SLI 980's
1200 Watt PSU (New because I thought it was the issue)

The system will be in a game and then all of a sudden the screen will go black. Sometimes I get an error in event viewer, sometimes I don't.

Most of the time if I get an error its for that specific application or sometimes I will get: Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

This all started about 4 updates ago... Not sure if its the same. But I wanted to share that your not alone!

this thread confused enough as it is since tis 2 threads merged together, you better off asking your own question if you haven't already :)

I thought mine was my GPU at first and almost upgraded to a 2070, but I got PC tested and hardware was fine, so it was a software problem. CLean install didn't fix it either. 5 different Nvidia drivers didn't fix it, I was looking at the victim and not the cause.

What turned out to be problem for you? It doesn't actually recover for me when it crashes. That's just the error message I get when I check event viewer.

mine ended up being my mouse. MIght have been mouse driver conflicting as well, all I know is when I replaced it, the GPU stopped turning itself off randomly. So the thing crashing might not be what is is the cause, that is one thing I have learned fixing problems around here. It might just be a symptom.

I spent 4 months trying to figure mine out, it would have been easier if it did cause BSOD as we know how to fix those. But errors without bsod are more difficult to isolate. You see the results but you don't know why.

So what do you plug into PC? What is oldest part? What is something you wouldn't dream of blaming as its always worked before? As the last 2 problems I had with my PC ended up being caused by things I never would have suspected, my mouse and my speakers. Its just a thought :)

Last edited: