[SOLVED] Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

dolfinator

Distinguished
May 28, 2013
I did find some threads about this error, but it's different for me because it doesn't cause any visible crashes - PC doesn't crash, games don't crash. The only reason I even noticed the error is because it pops up as a hardware error in Reliability Monitor. Then I opened Event Viewer to see what happened at those dates and times and I found the message in the title.

Specs:
RTX™ 2060 OC 6G Rev 2.0 (factory overclocked)
Ryzen 1600
AsRock B450M-HDV Rev 4.0

The build is less then 2 months old, I checked older logs in Event Viewer, since the issue has been occuring about once a week since I built this PC. Even when I initially had a

Gigabyte RX 5700, again factory overclocked,

which I replaced with the Nvidia due to unrelated issues. When I had the AMD card, the error would say

Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Is it me or that's the same error, but for an AMD card? Anyway, I wonder if I should just ignore this, since I don't see any effect from these errors, or should I do something about it.

Solution
Besides trying a different cable, another thing you can try is reducing the factory overclock.
The 2060 has a base clock of 1365mhz with a boost clock of 1680mhz.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Are you using any display adapters, like an HDMI to DP model?

Does it happen with a different monitor cable?

You haven't tried to overclock the gpu... nothing visually disruptive is happening...
The only other thing I can think of is Windows having a fit somewhere. Is Windows up to date?

IF your Ryzen 1600 was an upgrade from a previous machine and you carried over your old C drive, did you reinstall the OS?

dolfinator

Distinguished
May 28, 2013
I'm not using an adapter.
Haven't tried using a different cable, I can give it a shot I guess.
I haven't overclocked the GPU but it has a factory overclock.
No artifacts or anything of the sort. Windows is up to date.
I installed Windows on a new SSD and I formatted the old SSD where Windows used to be. But it wasn't like that at first. First I tried to boot from my old SSD without reinstalling Windows. It did boot, but I couldn't get my mouse and keyboard to work in Windows 7 so I installed Windows 10 on the new SSD and formatted the old one. The parts that I kept from my old build are the PSU, the old SSD and an HDD.