[SOLVED] "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" ?

May 2, 2021
After installing the NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 video card in the Packard Bell imedia S1800 PC, the image on the screen periodically began to freeze with a second transition to a black screen, followed by image recovery, and sometimes it came to BSOD. In the System Eventlog console, when the screen image is frozen, a system event was logged - "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

At BSOD - " The computer was restarted after a critical error. Error code: 0x000000d1 (0x7a9231d8, 0x00000002, 0x00000002, 0x933d24e7) ..." I found - "Bug Check 0xD1" - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...bug-check-0xd1--driver-irql-not-less-or-equal But I didn't understand what to do with that next ... Initially, the PC was running Windows 7 32 bit (i.e. the specified error also occurred in windows 7, which was sold with the specified PC), then it was updated to Windows 10.

Downloaded the most recent video card driver from the Nvidia website. I checked this video card on another PC with Windows 10 - no problems were identified. I bought a more powerful power supply unit (even more powerful than the one on the computer on which I checked the video card). Added an additional 120 mm fan in case the matter is overheating (according to the BIOS, the case temperature is up to 34 C, the temperature of the video card according to the data of its native utility in Windows at rest is up to 46 C) - the problem remains.

Moreover, the error often occurs when loading Windows, when the video card, in theory, is not heavily loaded and not heated. In the performance section of Task Manager, when the screen image freezes, I often see short spikes 100% or more? (flat-topped peaks along the upper border of the window) video card activity in the "3D" and "copy" windows ... I have the impression that this is some kind of conflict between the video card and the motherboard ... it possible that for the normal functioning of this video card need a different motherboard and most likely a larger case ... I would be grateful for your advice!

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
Solution
May 2, 2021
Thank you Ralston18,
As far as I understand in my case, I don't need to repair the Windows 10 because similar event was in Windows 7 before.
I came to the conclusion that this is a manifestation of video card undeclared limit in motherboard FSB frequency. That's why on a motherboard with FSB 1333 MHz the card works fine, and at FSB 800 MHz with errors and even BSOD.