Display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Running out of ideas is my graphics card dying?

bostock130

Prominent
Nov 22, 2017
So i get this issue sometimes not even once all day sometimes 2 or 3 times a day and it doesnt have to be under load, i set up a custom fan curve to make sure its not an overheating card and i saw the issue happen while looking at my GPU temps in MSI Afterburner and the hotteset the GPU got to was 43C so its definitely not that. I tried solutions i found online such as changing power options to high performance, going into the advanced power settings and changing link state power management to off under the PCI Express header, going to the nvidia control panel, manage 3d settings and changing power management mode to prefer maximum performance. uninstalling nvidia geforce experience, uninstalling all my graphics card drivers everything to do with nvidia, resetting my pc and then reinstalling them (though it was the same driver 388.31 though i redownloaded it first of course) and lastly i also tried method 3 by microsoft here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2665946/-display-driver-stopped-responding-and-has-recovered-error-in-windows all to no avail. Im really worried by graphics card is dying i cant afford to replace it its a miracle i could afford this in the 1st place is there anything else i can try that could be causing this? my specs are below (Also nothing is overclocked at all)

PSU: 850w
CPU: Intel i7-4790k 4ghz
GPU: MSI Aero GTX 1080
RAM: 16GB
Motherboard: MSI B85-G41 PC Mate(MS-7850)

Solved, windows update didnt see the problem for a few days, upgraded from windows 7 - 10 with a fresh install being a week or 2 without the issue so must have been a windows problem.

Solution

No big deal about the overclocking, it's common sense to stay away from something you don't understand or think may harm your computer, not pathetic. Let's hope...

TechnoStyle

Honorable
Feb 26, 2017
Did you tried installing drivers with DDU method ?
Try reinstalling drivers.
Download DDU:
https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

Run your PC in safe mode.
Run DDU.
Select "Clean and Restart"

After this process, your all Nvidia drivers and softwares are deleted.
Go to Nvidia website. Select newest and compatible driver for your GPU - Windows OS.
Install it.
Let's see if this solution works.
Generally, wrong installation or updating drivers without DDU cause problems.

bostock130

Prominent
Nov 22, 2017
No i havent tried this i did it myself using device manager and control panel, if this is free ill try it now and get back to you, though a response will take time as it sometimes only happens once every 6 or so hours sometimes twice within an hour its random so ill get back when it happens again or within a few days if it doesnt saying it worked.

bostock130

Prominent
Nov 22, 2017
No luck did this, about an hour later got the issue again. Thinking of downloading an older nvidia driver and see if it solves it as i didnt always have this issue it just started happening suddenly im just unsure if it 1st happened after a driver update or not.

bostock130

Prominent
Nov 22, 2017
Nope never overclocked anything cause i dont have a lot of money so im always afraid of things breaking and/or voiding warranty (pathetic i know) i dont even know how to overclock lol. i had some windows updates to do and it hasnt happened in about 10 hours of using my pc which most days it would do it once or twice but not always so maybe windows was the issue will have to wait and see though i dont see how it could be causing the issue or how it could be solved with a simple windows update.

ddferrari

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010

No big deal about the overclocking, it's common sense to stay away from something you don't understand or think may harm your computer, not pathetic. Let's hope the update solved the issue; there may have been an issue with the Kernel system or something like that which relates to graphics and software. If the problem returns, I see you have a GTX 1080 which is surely still under warranty; they were only released in 05/2016 and I've never seen one with less than a two-year warranty. Even if you got it used and have no receipt, they may honor the warranty based on the serial number, since it's impossible to own a 1080 older than two years.

I rarely recommend this, but if the issue persists you could do a clean install of your operating system before resorting to sending the card in. Of course, backup everything you can first.

Solution

bostock130

Prominent
Nov 22, 2017
Bought the card new from a proper pc/part retailer in may 2016 still got the email for it so i should be able send it back yeah but i was looking for solutions my end before sending it back dont wanna send it back and be without a pc for no reason. I have an ssd in the post on the way (im behind the times and still on an HDD right now) so im doing a clean install of windows then anyway so if the problem returns hopefully it will be fixed by that but so far not seeing the issue returning yet. after about 3 days of the new install ill edit the post if its fixed or reply on here if not.

bostock130

Prominent
Nov 22, 2017
Bit late to update this but the issue never came back after that update, and ive upgraded to windows 10 from 7 i was on then about a week or 2 ago and not seen the issue since so i guess it was a windows issue maybe a corrupt file or registry or something, either way its sorted my card seems to be fine then :)