Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoang Tan

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
I have bought a new PC for myself. But after a day playing games, I get this error. And it happened even more since that day. I tried everything I read on tom's HARDWARE like change registry, update driver graphic card, driver chipset, everything. My uncle said the PSU is not enough for my graphic card. Then I set GPU clock from 1100 Mhz to 300 Mhz, Memory clock when high performance from 1450 Mhz to 500 Mhz.Then the error didn't happen offen. But it's still appear and I don't know why.
My graphic card: ATI Radeon R9 270x
PSU: Corsair VS550

Solution
Disable your integrated graphics card through BIOS setup. (MUST)

Your PSU has a good build quality and commendable ampere rating in +12V rail. Hence, I believe there will be no issues with the power supply.

And please, do not underclock the graphics card. Restore factory defaults with the help of Catalyst Control Center. (Install Ver. 14.7 BETA)

Edit:Remember to uninstall the current display driver with the help of DISPLAY DRIVER UNINSTALLER

http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/

Download and install the application. I use it and believe me, it works fantastic.
Note: Will work better only in safe mode. Don't forget to check the box "Remove C:\AMD directory" while uninstalling the driver. To go to safe mode, tap F8 while booting...

Hoang Tan

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

Still the pop-up "display driver stopped responding and has recovered" :( While I was playing, it freeze for 2s and the pop-up appear then Dota 2 became totally black. I have to end Dota 2 with Task Manager :(

Considering your card's fan does not run beyond 30%, why don't you tweak the voltage little bit higher from the stock? Maybe, your graphics card need more mV for running the specific core and memory clocks. Use MSI afterburner to elevate the vcore (just tad) and GPU-Z for analyzing the fan speed.

Hoang Tan

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

My fan speed is always at 35% and will increase if I use graphics card in high-perormance.
In MSI Afterburner, I see:
- Core Clock: 1100 Mhz
- Memory Clock: 1400 Mhz
Could you advice me how much I should set them for not getting the error.
P/s: I saw these number in AMD Overdrive in AMD Catalyst Controller too

I got some points for it. Please follow the steps exactly -

First, Open the AMD CCC, and enable AMD OVERDRIVE. Then, DO NOT forget to restart the computer after enabling it because your MSI afterburner must note down the default settings from the control center.

Second - After the restart, open MSI. Put Power Limit - 20% (Full). You don't need to worry about clocks for now.

Third - Click Settings found at the bottom of the application. Enable Voltage Control. If it asks for restarting the application, do it. It just takes 2 seconds, lol.

Forth - Most probably, the core voltage would be around 1206. Slowly increase the mV to +7 from whatever the stock voltage is.

Play your game and tell me how it works now.

Hoang Tan

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

before I do anything, Core voltage was Max
after restart application, I can't do anything at Core Voltage, it stuck at Max @@
I ignored it and returned to try the game. It didn't work :(
But I keep wondering about one thing: Whenever I play offline game, I don't see the error "display driver stopped responding and has recovered". And the error appear very rare if I open some website and play offline game.
Then I play those online game like LOL or Dota 2, Borderlands 2.... The error happens more often.
So in my opinion, I think there's something wrong about driver of graphics card and the ethernet card (or driver) after testing day by day :(
Is there any situation like that before ? Cuz I'm really sure about that situation :-?
Or PSU problem, I guess :( I've already change new graphics card (same model)

adrian4206

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015
New to the forums. I resolved this issue by simply switching the video cables. I initially had Display port to Mini display port. Switched to HDMI and all is well. Hope this helps.

justagamer41

Reputable
Apr 25, 2015

I am not a computer geek just love my games FF14 and WoW. I was having same issue and tried EVERYTHING as you did. TdrDelay, uninstall using DDU in safe mode, switched to windows basic, clean driver install, restored computer to factory settings, new power supply 300W to 500W and nothing worked. I came across (forgot where) some info saying windows aero effects have been known to be incompatible with some graphics cards. Because I was left out of options I reinstalled drivers using web site identifier (AMD HD6670) and then disabled aero in admin settings. I can now play FF14 full screen on my biga** tv 22 fps no crash :) I am happy. The Aero disabling and website driver download is all I did different from all the other "fix's". DISABLE AERO!! problem solved, just to be safe I left all other fix's in place lol pass it on

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS