Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

Swiss Helvetica

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014
Howdy.
I've only just been getting this message and screen blackouts for a day or two now.

lVe2eRQ.png

The error message in the image contains the version number "332.21", which was a driver update that I manually downloaded from the Nvidia site after uninstalling Nvidia Experience and using the DDU tool to remove all Nvidia drivers for my graphics card.

Specs:
Asus GTX 560 Ti 1GB
i5 3570k
G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3 4x2GB
ASRock B75M R2.0
NZXT S340 Red/Black Midtower
Crucial MX100 256GB SSD

A few days ago I tried to overclock my graphics card just a tiny bit with MSI Afterburner. I only put the core clock up about 30 extra MHz but then reset it back to the original settings of 830 MHz and left it. I don't know if that was a cause of the problem. I also messed around a bit with the fan speeds, maxing them and then putting them on the lowest setting, but then resetting it back to automatic but I doubt that would cause it.

The screen would go black for a few seconds, and then the error message in the bottom right will appear, displaying the current version of my graphics card drivers. It will either happen often, or rarely, which is extremely odd. It happened about 5 times in a few minutes when I started typing this thread. But now it hasn't appeared at all after listing the specs and thinking of what to write afterwards.

I attempted a system restore back to before overclocking the graphics card which was listed as the 24th of April, now being the 27th/28th as of writing this. There was no difference, with the problem still occurring afterwards.

I originally had the latest version installed for the GTA V optimisation options which was 350.12. I currently have 332.21 installed.

As I said, I have only had this problem for a day or two now, but it's really bugging me because it happens constantly, even after refitting my GPU into my computer. The only time it doesn't happen is when I don't have any drivers installled and the screen resolution is forced to be either 800x600 or 1280x720, and unable to play any games involving 3D rendering.

Solution
first install 350.12 driver and select clean installation in installation menu and install driver. then download nvidiaInspector and see whether your GPUs current clock matches default clock as it may be overclocked by you ,if you see difference then click apply defaults and close it and run any graphics hungry game to test. Always crank clock speed of ~10 for a safer side.

userDevilsCanyon

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015
first install 350.12 driver and select clean installation in installation menu and install driver. then download nvidiaInspector and see whether your GPUs current clock matches default clock as it may be overclocked by you ,if you see difference then click apply defaults and close it and run any graphics hungry game to test. Always crank clock speed of ~10 for a safer side.

Solution

Swiss Helvetica

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014

This fixed my problem.