[SOLVED] "Display Driver Stopped Working" in event log when playing

frosty2181

Reputable
Nov 1, 2016
Hey Everyone, thanks for taking the time to read. Pretty simply any time I play a game could last 1 minute could last 15, the prgram crashes to desktop with no error. The Event log says "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." Already tried using DDU and reinstalling drivers... did not solve the problem. I have no heat issues.

Could it be faulty memory or video card? Any one know of anything else I could try?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Factory pre-overclocked model. Base Clock 1569MHZ/Boost Clock 1683MHz

Downclock to Nvidia reference clocks and reduce power limit.
Base Clock 1481 MHz/Boost Clock1582 MHz
I have no heat issues.
To much overclocking and overheating is the usual cause. Try removing overclock. If your card is factory pre-overclocked, then you have to downclock it.
Can be also damaged graphics card (from previous overclocking and overheating).

What model graphics card btw?
What model PSU are you using (not just wattage, but actual model name)? Low quality psu can also cause issues.

frosty2181

Reputable
Nov 1, 2016
To much overclocking and overheating is the usual cause. Try removing overclock. If your card is factory pre-overclocked, then you have to downclock it.
Can be also damaged graphics card (from previous overclocking and overheating).

What model graphics card btw?
What model PSU are you using (not just wattage, but actual model name)? Low quality psu can also cause issues.
EVGA 1080ti FTW3, EVGA Supernova g2 750... i had this setup for and year and half with no issue... curious why it happens all the sudden... didnt change anything... tried pulling memory out, one kit then the next, same issue, also i can play graphically non-intense games, but if its an intense game, it just crashes out, some games crash at menu

frosty2181

Reputable
Nov 1, 2016
So putting the GPU Clock offset to -188 mhz, seems to have worked, was able to play uninterrupted all evening. question is, is it a card problem or a PSU problem? Ive RMAed the card already, so i guess we will find out.

frosty2181

Reputable
Nov 1, 2016
makes sense, but curious if the powersupply is failing to send enough power all the sudden, so the card stopping to work is the symptom and not the problem, the PSU would be the problem... I guess only way to know is try the new card