Question Display Drivers Crashing?

MrMeowmers

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
Hey folks,

So recently, with some games (only certain ones, so far) I seem to get odd crashes of rendering mid gameplay. If I move my mouse around in game, I can still interact with things, I hear button clicks and the sound of my cursor passing over menu buttons... But the video no longer updates.

I have a GTX 1070, and shouldn't be having these issues. This most recent one was with U-Boat, running at roughly 60+ frames, with no issues and suddenly the video just freezes and event viewer says that 'nvlddmkm' stopped responding.

Is there a way I can get video playing again, or do I just need to restart my games over and over again?

Right now, I'm waiting on my financial position to improve and I plan on upgrading from my 7 year old MOBO and CPU, but just am not in the position. (My MOBO refuses to flash update the BIOS and the CPU is turning into a major bottleneck, as of the last year.)

Cheers!

EDIT: I HAVE just done a full DDU + reinstall of the drivers today, not a few hours ago. I'm going to try dropping the graphics down to the total minimum.
EDIT2: Running graphics on dead low doesn't fix anything, either. Again, this seems to only be with certain games. I had the issue with Total War: Shogun 2, and changing to DirectX 9 fixed that one. Don't think I can do that with U-Boat, though.

Last edited:

MrMeowmers

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
Okay, I'm now having the issue with theHunter: Call of the Wild. I used to be able to run this game with absolutely no issue, on medium-high graphics for good frames. Now the game crashes after several minutes pass.

Is my video card failing, or is this a case of Windows 10 being trashy and not playing nicely with unstable drivers?

EDIT: Dropped graphics to lowest settings and it now runs without crashing. I really can't afford a new graphics card, this really sucks...

Last edited: