Question Display drivers

Nulaa

Reputable
Oct 13, 2019
So here are my current specs. For the situation I’m in, 1050TI, 2060, 1tb C drive 2TB HDD and a 240 Gb SSD
Now my problem here isn’t really installing the components, it’s more or less the drivers and software that comes with it. So my 1050ti display drivers were installed on my CDrive. But I have uninstalled them as I’m going to be replacing my 1050ti with a 2060. Now I have a question. Am I able to install my 2060 Display drivers onto my 2TB storage. As when my SSD arrives I will be replacing my C drive with the SSD. But keep the Windows 10 OS on my c drive until the SSD arrives?
As when my SSD does arrive I will ofcourse be installing windows 10 on the SSD. Or does the Display drivers and windows have to be on the same storage device? If you need to ask any more questions to be able to understand where I’m coming at, I’ll be more that glad to answer thanks a lot.

EDIT: If it does come to this would I be able to just uninstall the drivers from my 2TB HDD and then reinstall them on my SSD with my OS?

EDIT: To kind of shorten it down, I’m really looking to know if I can choose which hard drive the drivers are installed onto, and if it’s okay if the OS and the drivers aren’t on the same device

Last edited:
Drivers will be installed on the current C drive.
Your card will have a default low res mode that runs with no drivers.

It is not clear to me what your current and future setup is.
Is the 2tb drive your windows C drive now?
And is the 240gb ssd the drive that will have windows on it?
Are you planning on doing a clean install of windows on the 240gb ssd?
There are considerations for all of this.
Cloning a large HDD to a smaller ssd is not going to work.
A clean install of windows may well require reinstalling apps that need the registry, and that will be most all of them.

Nulaa

Reputable
Oct 13, 2019
Drivers will be installed on the current C drive.
Your card will have a default low res mode that runs with no drivers.

It is not clear to me what your current and future setup is.
Is the 2tb drive your windows C drive now?
And is the 240gb ssd the drive that will have windows on it?
Are you planning on doing a clean install of windows on the 240gb ssd?
There are considerations for all of this.
Cloning a large HDD to a smaller ssd is not going to work.
A clean install of windows may well require reinstalling apps that need the registry, and that will be most all of them.

Sorry i didnt make it very clear

So my current setup is this
I5-8400
RTX 2060
16gb ram
C: Drive is the 1 TB HDD
The F: Drive is the 2TB HDD

My windows 10 is installed currently on my C: Drive but will be installed on the SSD when it arrives. Then the 2TB is just for extra storage.

I just finished installing my 2060 and all drivers so my future setup is
i5-8400
RTX 2060
16GB RAM
C: Drive 240 GB SSD
F: Drive 2TB HDD

Now currently as from reading the replies to this thread. My new 2060 drivers are installed on my C: Drive.

Currently i have a USB with windows on it so i have got that sorted.

So is it just the matter of unplugging the C: Drive 1TB HDD and replacing it with the 240GB SSD? And then of course set up windows and reinstall the drivers?

Yes. Disconnect the old drive, Install Windows on the new SSD. However you would also want to remove any boot possibility from the old drive so I would use an external dock. Best idea would be to backup data from the existing HDD and then format it so it has no boot information left on it.

Nulaa

Reputable
Oct 13, 2019
Yes. Disconnect the old drive, Install Windows on the new SSD. However you would also want to remove any boot possibility from the old drive so I would use an external dock. Best idea would be to backup data from the existing HDD and then format it so it has no boot information left on it.

Is that necessary even if no one will be using the 1TB after ive swapped it out? As ill most likely be placing it in a box on my shelf. Thank you for the replies!

If you do a new clean install on a 240gb ssd you should disconnect all other drives to keep windows from allocating a small hidden recovery partition on the second drive.
It will be difficult to ever boot windows without the second drive present.

Then also, a clean install will have an empty registry.
That will require you to reinstall any games that use the registry, even if they reside on a second drive.
I think there is a procedure to handle steam games.

If I might offer a suggestion:
A samsung 1tb 860 qvo costs about $117.
https://www.newegg.com/samsung-860-qvo-series-1tb/p/N82E16820147738?&quicklink=true
Use the samsung ssd migration aid to move your C drive to the 1tb ssd.
Your games and apps will still be there and run faster.